HybridZ

change rearend to ford 9"

I don't specifically know of anyone who has. But I suspect it has been done by people drag racing their Z. But unless you are drag racing it would be a step backwards going from independant to Live rear end. Having said that, the latest camaro runs independant rear. Anyone know the size of their diff?

It's been done by about a half-dozen members here... both Ford 9" and Chevy 12-bolt. I even recall one fellow installing a Dana 60.

However, the emerging "wisdom" is that judicious selection of components, together with chassis reinforcement, is sufficient to put a S30 into the 9-second range retaining the basic OEM suspension architecture. This of course can be debated back and forth. Built "properly", neither option is cheap.

BTW I'm about 60 miles north-west of you (speaking to the original poster).... 1978Z with a big-block Chevy engine, basically stock suspension, chassis heavily altered/reinforced.

Edited by Michael