HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS Conversion

SUNNY Z

It is the cobra 3.55 gears with the carbon clutch posi.

I don't have any pics of that at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I moved my diff up about 2". My diff is about 1/4" from the deck floor. My car is pretty low though, so at ride height, my A arms are basically parallel to the ground. I believe the axles will be at a slight up angle to the diff at droop, and should be almost flat at ride height.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the driveshaft shop was forced to move buildings do to eminent domain, so they won't be starting my stuff until monday.

I installed ARP studs on the rear hubs tonight. Used F body camaro studs, as they're suuuuper close to the right diameter, and much cheaper. I'll post pics of the finished product.

Should be able to get most of the brakes assembled tomorrow if we can drill the rotors for 4 lug. Depends on a buddy's schedule.

One step closer!

Backing plates. Drilled out the spot welds for the dust shields, sand blasted, and painted them.

2013-03-17_19-56-36_280_zps3a13458a.jpg

Wheel bearings / Hubs. New ARP studs

2013-03-17_20-01-52_997_zpsbc95d9c1.jpg

Re-drilled rotors. Mock up of calipers. Going to order lines tonight hopefully

2013-03-17_22-32-27_132_zps732bc5fb.jpg

Today I learned:

The Z32 e-brake assemblies have to be swapped side to side. This includes backing plates. I'm not sure which hub i used on which side, but i would imagine that they are also reversed from where they originally were intended. I bought all the e-brake cables, so those should be here early in the week.

Driveshaft and axles the same.

EDIT= Adding info from last post.

Just wanted to give some insight on how to re-drill for 4 lug (going backwards as some have put it)

Knock all the studs out of your hub except one. Pick one of the 5 lug holes, and place the stud through that hole (backwards. picture putting the rotor on the hub inside out, or with the outer surface of the hat touching the hub). You re-use one hole, and drill 3.  Lucky for us, the rotors are hub-centric, so you really can't mess it up.  I marked all three with a center punch, and drilled them out. I had to use a rat tail file on a couple holes, but all in all it went pretty smooth!

Edited by SUNNY Z

After taking a closer look at the diff, I decided to replace the posi unit. The spider gears were munched up a little bit, and for 220 shipped, I couldn't resist a brand new posi unit.

spider gears:

2013-03-23_19-31-11_211_zps164f06f7.jpg

Might be something to be aware of if youre inspecting one to buy. 

already LOVING my DOMESTIC parts. Took me 2 minutes to find exactly what i needed online.

So the rabbit hole keeps going deeper. Checked the backlash on the diff before changing the posi. Its at .022". Spec is .008-.010". SO it looks like i'll be replacing the gear set as well............Not happy.

Gears for the 8.8 are pretty cheap though. Think I paid 150 for my 4.10s and the install kits arent bad either. Plus then you know you will have a solid diff, .022 backlash probably wouldn't have lasted to long with some hard launches, and probably whined like crazy. What gear ratio are you going to buy?

-Will

I decided to let one of my local friends set up the rear end for me. I figured $100 is worth me not being frustrated, or screwing it up.  The axles are finished, just waiting on the driveshaft (next mon target date) to get done, and i'll have everything!

While you are getting the gears installed you should also make sure the bearings are in good shape. I had a pro shop set-up my differential and the shop told me that one of the pinion bearings was bad. All above board. More work and more cost but 100% in good shape now as the shop replaced all the bearings. The gear set was in great shape.

Danno74Z

While you are getting the gears installed you should also make sure the bearings are in good shape. I had a pro shop set-up my differential and the shop told me that one of the pinion bearings was bad. All above board. More work and more cost but 100% in good shape now as the shop replaced all the bearings. The gear set was in great shape.

Danno74Z

I should have mentioned, but its getting all new gears, bearings, seals, and posi. It will basically be a brand new unit.