HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS Conversion

SUNNY Z

Will, did you read my post? I SUPPORT his swap. I'm not defending that he should STAY with the R200.

My point is that there ARE people that have done wheel stands on the R200 with stock half shafts without breakage, but you're right, they probably are mostly on auto.

But I also know there's lots of guys with 450+ whp & torque turbo L cars that have really stout clutches that don't break input shafts like that. Granted it's a turbo motor so it doesn't have the same instant torque with most people's setup, so maybe that's what's saving the shock load.

The point of my post was the there have been MANY people who have broken things due to improper setups, and I hadn't seen ANYTHING in the thread talking about the possability of it being due to harsh driveline angles which CAN shear parts like that.

My bad, reread my post and it sounded really harsh/negative. Wasn't meant to be. I knew you supported his diff swap, just seemed like you thought the R200 setup could be made to work, which it could, but not near as reliably as the setup he has now.

Looking good Sunny, almost there. Time to take it to the track and give it a good test. Ready to see what your car can do when you can launch without breaking.

-Will

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will, no harm, no foul, all water under the bridge, or whatever cheesy analogy you'd like to use. I've got decently thick skin but just wanted to make it clear that I myself encourage people to look beyond the R200.

The R200 was great when Z31 turbo donors were much more common and a mere $100 away from getting an entire subframe.... At today's prices I'd consider other options in a heartbeat. 

I had about 475hp on my old ls1, single turbo, face plated liberty 6 speed with spec 3+ clutch. I was using R200 Clsd, MM Billet stubs and adapters with the zxt shafts that were cryod. I made probably 30 passes at the track and plenty of street abuse. I was using Hoosier dr's and never had wheel hop issues and did not break anything. The person who bought it from me put slicks on and broke the cv's.
Just for reference

I'm happy to report that i put 28 trouble-free miles on the car tonight! All I had to do was raise the rear up from where I had it initially. Still needs to come up some, but its not bottoming out on my fenders anymore.

Pretty exciting!

Hooray!  Pics and timeslips! 

Quick thread jack:  I did that extended stud swap just like you described it - piece of cake (pictures double posted in suspension forum)!  Thanks for all the part numbers (I did it just like you described, except I used my HF 12 ton press).  This week is brake bleeding (I blew a Maxima rear caliper at the strip last week) then billet stub axle swap perhaps next weekend (need brakes working to break the big nut loose).  I installed speed bleeders on all 4 corners.  What did you use as a drift to press on the outer stub axle bearings?  I bought a little clampy-do-hickie to get them off, but getting them pressed back on may be a challenge.  New stub nuts and outer bearings have arrived.  Did some work on my trailer to get ready for big racing weekend in 2 weeks.  You going to Branson?  Too far for me.

I'm happy to report that i put 28 trouble-free miles on the car tonight! All I had to do was raise the rear up from where I had it initially. Still needs to come up some, but its not bottoming out on my fenders anymore.

Pretty exciting!

This is really COOL.  In order to duplicate this conversion, please provide a brief summary of parts needed to accomplish this.  Does DDS supply the inner and outer CVs on the half shafts and what does one specify to DDS in order to get another set of half shaft same as yours?  What shocks are used for the struts?  Are those 280ZX 4 lug internally splined hubs to mount the rotors and wheels?  Already purchased a MK VIII 8.8" differential and rear cover the same as you have.  Would be nice to know the remainder of parts that need to be purchased to accomplish this BEEFY conversion.  Thanks much.

This is really COOL.  In order to duplicate this conversion, please provide a brief summary of parts needed to accomplish this.  Does DDS supply the inner and outer CVs on the half shafts and what does one specify to DDS in order to get another set of half shaft same as yours?  What shocks are used for the struts?  Are those 280ZX 4 lug internally splined hubs to mount the rotors and wheels?  Already purchased a MK VIII 8.8" differential and rear cover the same as you have.  Would be nice to know the remainder of parts that need to be purchased to accomplish this BEEFY conversion.  Thanks much.

In my case, yes they did supply all the CV's. You just send them a seal to seal measurement at ride height, and they do the rest.

You inspired me to finally do a parts list. I'll upload it ASAP

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 3 weeks later...

In my case, yes they did supply all the CV's. You just send them a seal to seal measurement at ride height, and they do the rest.

You inspired me to finally do a parts list. I'll upload it ASAP

Sure would be nice to get that summary of a parts list you used.

Sure would be nice to get that summary of a parts list you used.

Holy crap! Its been three weeks already!?!? I apologize. I made the list in excel, but i couldn't upload it.  Send me your email and I'll get it headed your way until i figure out how to host it.

He's to busy enjoying the new setup!

FACT.

I've put 1100 miles on the car since the rear swap so far. I beat on it pretty hard this weekend at KC2K13. It started to develop a clunk when I would get on it.

Threw it in the air to investigate today, and found this:

IMG_20130519_193633_960_zps4bedfe41.jpg

Other side

IMG_20130519_193736_708_zps21747623.jpg

Its a good thing I Loctite'd them as well as using lock washers!  Those are the back two bolts. I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to remedy this yet. Probably beef up the area, and re-weld some nuts in there.

Is that the RT mount area? I need to check that area myself. I still have a bang on slow turns that I have been blaming on the LSD. I may send my next set of axles to DSS. It may be from rebuilt but worn CVs. I think it was ZFan that put that idea in my head. ETs????

Is that the RT mount area? I need to check that area myself. I still have a bang on slow turns that I have been blaming on the LSD. I may send my next set of axles to DSS. It may be from rebuilt but worn CVs. I think it was ZFan that put that idea in my head. ETs????

Yes, these are the back two of the 4 bolts. I imagine that since the diff sits further back, it is acting like a lever on that mount, and putting more torque to the rear bolts.