HybridZ

Ford 8.8 IRS Conversion

SUNNY Z

Those appear to be the forward diff mount bolts which would put them under shear.  Recommend going to fine thread grade 8 bolts and clinched self locking nuts and then torquing them to 50+ foot pounds of torque.  Sent you a PM regarding the 8.8 conversion parts list.  Need to know what part number bearings, outer half shaft CV joints/stub axle and hubs that fit onto the stub axles.  Which shocks are used in the newer struts from TTT?  Did you remove and throw away the 280Z mustache bar?  Your pictures of the fabrication will really come in handy.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those appear to be the forward diff mount bolts which would put them under shear.  Recommend going to fine thread grade 8 bolts and clinched self locking nuts and then torquing them to 50+ foot pounds of torque.  Sent you a PM regarding the 8.8 conversion parts list.  Need to know what part number bearings, outer half shaft CV joints/stub axle and hubs that fit onto the stub axles.  Which shocks are used in the newer struts from TTT?  Did you remove and throw away the 280Z mustache bar?  Your pictures of the fabrication will really come in handy.

Those are the rear bolts. Still under shear though. I'm going to lock and nut them, with loctite.  They're grade 10.9, so plenty strong.

I'll get you that info a little later.

Are those the bolts that hold the stock diff strap? If so, a short diff mounted here will eventually start to tear the metal around the welded nuts. This happened to the LS car Clive just parted out.

Joe

Are those the bolts that hold the stock diff strap? If so, a short diff mounted here will eventually start to tear the metal around the welded nuts. This happened to the LS car Clive just parted out.

Joe

You are correct. I plan on beefing the area up as soon as possible.

What diff was Clive running? The other option is welding the mount in.

Shortnose. I think the issue as Jessie states is that you get some leverage on the mount for the shortnose diffs. 

I think the answer is a bolt in cradle above the diff. If anyone local wants to take up that challenge (or do any other diff mount figuring), I still have the diff section of a 280Z tub that I cut out of a parts car. You can have it free of charge.

Shortnose. I think the issue as Jessie states is that you get some leverage on the mount for the shortnose diffs. 

I think the answer is a bolt in cradle above the diff. If anyone local wants to take up that challenge (or do any other diff mount figuring), I still have the diff section of a 280Z tub that I cut out of a parts car. You can have it free of charge.

I would love to take that off your hands... But unfortunately, I'm half way across the US.

• 4 weeks later...

How is the setup treating you? Any issues? Got any pics of the axle angle now that its on the ground?

It has been good. Straight line traction is a little bit different than it used to be, but I haven't had any issues.  I changed to a softer spring to get a nicer ride out of it, and I think thats where I lost some traction. Other than that, its had about a dozen launches on slicks with no issues other than the front mount coming loose. 

I'll have to get a picture of the angles.

• 3 weeks later...

This build has been a inspiration to me, I found it yesterday. I would like to get the excell  spreadsheet and would be willing to pay you for it,to help out with the build. Thanks for all your hard work and willingness to share your information. Thanks Jerry

This build has been a inspiration to me, I found it yesterday. I would like to get the excell  spreadsheet and would be willing to pay you for it,to help out with the build. Thanks for all your hard work and willingness to share your information. Thanks Jerry

Send me your email via PM and I'll get it coming your way.

SunnyZ-my main priority at the next night at the track is to play with different shock settings on my Illuminas. I'm gonna start with the fronts on 1 to allow as little rebound dampening as possible. Rears will be on 1 for first run, then I'm gonna go to 5 in back then work back down. I had some bouncing in back with my rear shocks on 2. My 60' times were poor and I noticed on video that my rear is bouncing and I'm breaking traction on shifts. Gonna try to video document since it all happens too fast for my eye to catch it. Gonna paint a stripe on my sidewall to monitor spin.

SunnyZ-my main priority at the next night at the track is to play with different shock settings on my Illuminas. I'm gonna start with the fronts on 1 to allow as little rebound dampening as possible. Rears will be on 1 for first run, then I'm gonna go to 5 in back then work back down. I had some bouncing in back with my rear shocks on 2. My 60' times were poor and I noticed on video that my rear is bouncing and I'm breaking traction on shifts. Gonna try to video document since it all happens too fast for my eye to catch it. Gonna paint a stripe on my sidewall to monitor spin.

Where did you get your Illuminas from?  I tried to order front and rear some last Month and could not find any. Jerry

I bought my fronts ten-fifteen years ago from somebody out of business and I don't have the part numbers to try to find a replacement (one of them has lost all rebound dampening). The rears I got from Betamotorsports two or three years ago. After brakes and a cage, I'm gonna pony up for some double adjustable Konis. Nitrous keeps getting pushed back down the wish list.