HybridZ

A question for the (very few) 4bbl mani guys out there...

Isher

What carbs are you guys using? I saw the Arizona Z manifold suggests a Holley 390cfm/4150HP Carb, but I haven't heard many good things about it. I was considering using a JET Performance Holley 350cfm 2 bbl. Or a 480cfm Autolite if I could find one and rebuild it.

Just kinda want to see the combinations out there that worked for some people and what didn't.

Please, if you're fuel injected and are going to try and talk about how it is superior in every way to carburetors, please keep your opinions to yourself.

I've been running the "recommended" 390cfm Holley for about a year now and overall it has worked quite well. The engine runs well and starts within a couple seconds whether it is 100 or 20 degrees outside. The only thing don't like is that when the choke/fast idle are set up for winter use and there is a warm day the car will fast idle for an unnecessarily long time. Not a real problem, just a slight annoyance sometimes.

Edited by 2blue280

I've been running the "recommended" 390cfm Holley for about a year now and overall it has worked quite well. The engine runs well and starts within a couple seconds whether it is 100 or 20 degrees outside. The only thing don't like is that when the choke/fast idle are set up for winter use and there is a warm day the car will fast idle for an unnecessarily long time. Not a real problem, just a slight annoyance sometimes.

I've just heard some horror stories about some 390cfm Holley's never staying in tune from week to week. I've heard 1 or 2 stories about how that's not the case. Wanted some opinions and to know what's out there.

If a Holley is going out of tune week-to-week it's because someone's playing and fiddling with it!

Short of a backfire damaging a power valve...which they have a fix for these days, they are like most other OEM carbs: Set it and forget it!

Knew of a Holley on a Chevy...217,000 miles and was still running strong with only adjustment being idle screw mixture adjustment CHECK every tune up.

If a Holley is going out of tune week-to-week it's because someone's playing and fiddling with it!

Short of a backfire damaging a power valve...which they have a fix for these days, they are like most other OEM carbs: Set it and forget it!

Knew of a Holley on a Chevy...217,000 miles and was still running strong with only adjustment being idle screw mixture adjustment CHECK every tune up.

I'd be pretty good on that, because I plan on installing a wideband O2 sensor with an AFR gauge in place of the clock anyway.

There's a video on youtube of a 280z with an edelbrock 500. I read up on it a bit and will be running one of the edelbrock 500 1801's, which has the air valve secondaries. It'll take some tuning and most likely jetting, so it won't be like the holley 390 where it just needs a quick tune out of the box, but it will hopefully work well. This will be on my arizona manifold that i bought slightly used off a wrecked 260z for a good price :P

I ran the 390 4bbl with vac secondaries for a while. I only had to make 2 changes, 1 the powervalve-I installed a 8.5, 2 the vac secondary spring- I changed to the WHITE spring, makes the back half work sooner. Get a good see thru fuel filter and install before the carb. Adjust your idle and fuel mixture screws when the engine is HOT. Then set your electric choke after the car is COLD(if you have the elect choke). Then go for a nice drive :wink: I never had to re-adjust anything on the holley after the initial setup procedures I listed above. Your setup will vary a bit from mine due to your location and altitude. I was using the #52 main jets..

Here is something I posted a while back about the Holley 4bbl setup...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/52977-arazona-zcar-intake-vs-fuel-injection-long-pix/

Edited by 280zex

Previous-owner put a 600cfm holley & Bob Sharp intake on the L28 in my 240.

A bit overkill if you ask me, been jetting it down little bit by little bit, has a real nasty hesitation on initial acceleration.

A 600cfm is over kill, but can be tuned to work. your idle may be set too far past the transition slot ( this feeds extra fuel between idle and initial aceleration) and/or your acelerator pump cam may be mis-adjusted or the wrong size. To check if the throttle butterflies are too far past the transition slot, take carb off vehicle,drain fuel,and turn upside down for inspection. There is a small verticle slot in the carb main bores, bout as thick as a business card, mabe 1/8 inch long. This is the transition slot. with the throttle closed, there should be a small exposed spot of this slot BELOW the throttle blades, about the size of a ball point pen. If there is too much slot exposed, you run out of fuel before the main circuit works.

You can "trick" the 600 carb into working better by using the green pump cam. This gives you a good volume of accel pump shot early in the throttle, and "mabe?" help with the early stumble??

Whats your timming set at??

Is your carb a vac secondary or mechanical double pumper?

Does your carb have adjustable high and low speed air bleeds?

Does your carb have adjustable idle feed restrictors?

What type of fuel metering blocks does the carb have?

What are the main and secondary fuel jet numbers?

What is the power valve number?

Does your carb have the power valve protection? - little BB and spring installed in the throttle plate, this keeps the power valve from being destroyed when the engine backfires.

Get me some info, I can help :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Im running an edelbrock 600 on my 3.1 stroker 77 280z runs fantastic! Ya the mpg sucks haha but I have my stock daily driver 76 280z for the good mpg's :-) They are right about the tuning and cam I'm running a little more than mild lift and long duration cant remember the exact numbers have to check and get back to you on that runs pretty good for my fun car. Took some mild jetting and the hottest plug/wire combo I could find to make sure it burns all the way so I dont have piston wash. Cuz lets be honest 600cfm is a little much if you arent careful with your tuning you could do more damage than good. Hope this helps good luck!