HybridZ

Insurence wont pay on Veyron crash

randy 77zt

Yeah, Insurance pays out on crashes and accidents, they don't pay out on cases of insurance fraud.

Now it's just up to the jury to determine whether it is fraud, from the evidence in the media, I would say it is, but they will get more than what a casual browse of the internet shows.

2 things,

First, you think the guy filed the claim before the video came out? Very likely. The vid makes it look like he was playing with himself or the radio while driving and ran off the road. Unfortunately a lake happened to be there. When it came time to file a claim he probably made the fatal error of making up a less embarassing excuse than I ran my million dollar car into a lake by mistake.

Second, the policy he had was a classic car policy with restrictions. Car was insured for travelling from show to show or display only. Not for running errands around town or cruising. Basically mileage restrictions as a way to keep policy premiums low. If you never drive the car the chances of paying a claim are low. On my collector cars I choose collector insurance, but without the restrictions. I pay a little more, but can drive my cars anywhere. Still not covered if they get stolen in movie theater parking lot.

Looks like this guy gambled and lost. With the questioneable loan for the car I think they are introducing fraud, but I think there are much better ways to commit fraud than driving your own car into a lake. Guilty of bad decisions for sure, though.

The problem isn't necessarily the loan he got for it, it's that he got a loan and then an insurance policy for double that amount, then needs to collect on it all of the sudden due to swerving to avoid a bird that doesn't exist. And he drove it too much which will void the policy anyway, so the insurance will win one way or another.

But now that it's pretty clear he didn't swerve, or brake, or do anything to avoid this crash, he's buried himself.

Top Gear Top Tip: When committing a crime, make sure there are no witnesses. Or worse, witnesses with video cameras.

I went to my insurance agent for a 'high value items rider' for my homeowners policy for shop equipment, tools, stereo, that kind of crap.

This was 1990, and it was all presented in itemized format on a Dot-Matrix Printed Spreadsheet, purchase dates, serial numbers, purchase prices... really comprehensive.

He takes a look at it, says "GREAT! Perfect, this is easy we can write this now. Uh... Just one thing. If your house burns down in the next year, don't expect us to pay on this!"

He continued "Only two people have this kind of list, and at two times. If I get this BEFORE a claim, they're fraudsters. If I get this list AFTER a claim, they're fraudsters. But I've never seen this comprehensive of a list before...So if anything happens, just happening to have this policy rider in place before an incident looks more than a little suspicious."

I assured him I wasn't planning on any claims. In fact, nothing on that list has been claimed against yet. The roof from water damage, the floor for water damage, windows from an exploding oxygen cylinder in a burning van on the street, yeah...

But stuff on that list: "Not yet!" biggrin.gif

Now my bud, Tim... when we worked for the Bunghole Boss and his truck got ripped off in his driveway. Oh he WISHED he had listened to me and put a policy rider on them while in a company vehicle! He got hosed for well over $10,000 in losses. And "writing them off against your taxes" really is little compensation when all your hand tools are gone.

Edited by Tony D

I wouldnt be surprised if insurence companies are investigating everything these days.Last spring a large aquaduct/canal was drianed by my house to look for a body.There were 40+ vehicles in the canal -all reported stolen.Funny thing was most still had the key in the ignition.

Yeah that's routine Randy. Same thing in Lancaster a few years ago. Thing is joyrides can end like that as well, easiest way to dump the car is put it in a body of water that is moving where the slick from any oil being released won't be noticed.

You DO NOT want to put it in a boggy pond or lake. The slick just comes to the top and stays there. Soon enough people start asking questions and they find the car and body far too quickly.

Not that I know anything at all about this. It's entertainment hypothesizing only! cool.gif

Joyrides mostly involve a screwdriver through the Ignition switch tho... finding the keys there makes me wonder if the owners were like my grandpa, keeping the key tucked in the doc flap of the sun visor and never locking it.

Ah, the grand old days when you could trust your rural neighbours and city scum couldn't afford cars on their govt unemployment handouts and couldn't make it to the countryside to harass farmers.

Oh yeah, I found myself three times this past week having left the keys in the Z after being gone 5 months!

I think all the bird feces covering the car dissuaded anybody with thoughts of 'glorious' theivery...

If they are going to steal something, it's gonna be shiny!tongue.gif