HybridZ

Engine compartment wiring

I have a 1977 280z that I took the engine out of 6 years ago and I am now getting around to putting an engine from a 1978 back in. Unfortunately I do not remember where all of the wires fo. There appears to be a difference between the 1977 and 1978 harnesses. I am looking for some pictures of the area where the coil is mounted to the inner fender well (specifically the ballast) and also all of the wiring on the passenger side of the engine compartment. If anyone that has a 1977 in stock format and can email me some pictures I would appreciate it. I am in Wilmington DE so if you are in this area I would be happy to come and take the pic myself. Please pm me if you can help and I will send you my email address. Thanks

You're trying to use the 78 EFI harness? There are changes from 77. The biggest might be the fuel pump relay wiring from the AFM. 77 used the AFM, 78 used the oil pressure and alternator to control the relay. You won't have the AFM wires in the 78 harness. Might be better to use the 77 harness if it's available.

There are several changes to the body wiring also, like no ballast and an internally regulated alternator in 78. Other stuff - you'll have two pins on the 78 oil pressure switch but will only use one.

Donovan and NewZed. Thanks fir the comments. I have a shop manual for the 77 and I am putting th harness for the 77 back in. I no longer have the ballast so once I find one I should be able to get the rest or the FI and distributor wiring back together. I think both the 77 and 78 have externally regulated alternators. The 78 has a two prong oil pressure sending unit. can I use the two prong and if so which post will send a signal to the gauge? I have read about the fuel pump tie to the AFM but I do not know if I need can use the 78 AFM with the 77 harness.