HybridZ

Decent Radiator option?

mtnickel

Looks like this might fit the bill for us RB guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-RACING-DUAL-CORE-2-ROW-COOLING-RADIATOR-86-87-COROLLA-AE86-4AGE-JDM-/221065284508?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

For those that can't view when that link expires: it's an ae86 rad.

Mark

Update (Feb 2014).

Finally got around to installing this. I'd say for the budget it's a pretty good option.

I this into it:

$110 - Rad

$7 - 1 3/8" pipe ends to be welded (or JB welded) over-top of the 1 1/4" outlets

$5 - Stock toyota rad top brackets. I forget the model but some late 80's or 90's toyota. Cresida maybe?.

- Lower rubber mount from random car with rubber donut and hole (with $5 above).

Here are the parts in question:

IMG_20140223_165052095.jpg

the one Rubber donut on the left was the proper toyota one, but all the toyota mounts were welded to the chassis so I couldn't pull them. The one on the right has a match that isn't seen here. The hole was too small to fit the bottom studs. To enlarge it I took a Pulley bolt that was the right diameter, heated it up red hot with a Oxy/Ace Torch and ran it into the hole. Worked like a charm. Otherwise it's difficult cutting rubber.

Dimensionally it fit like an absolute dream.

First I checked how much hood clearance I had using cardboard. Once I had the rad up though it was clear that there was over 1.5" of clearance so I took the cardboard off so it didn't get in the way.

IMG_20140223_165059474.jpg

The upper support is a tube so I couldn't weld a nut on the underside. I resorted instead to drilling all the way through and welding studs(bolts) to hold the upper brackets:

IMG_20140223_190100055.jpg

The rubber donuts are seen below. I actually mounted them second. I jacked up the radiator until it was nice and snug to the top brackets. Then I positioned the lower and tacked them to the lower rad support.

Here's how it came out:

IMG_20140223_190320750.jpg

IMG_20140223_190359761.jpg

IMG_20140223_190311808.jpg

Edited by mtnickel

• 2 weeks later...

The Arizona z radiator has worked great for my rb setup.

This one has a total height of 16.5". I'm fairly certain that isn't too tall for a Z-car. I've seen others up over 18.75" (JTR), and the KOYO 240z rad on ebay is roughly 17.5" tall (454mm).

Did you look at core size or overall height?

I was comparing that to other 280z radiators, like this one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Radiator-70-78-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-RB-RB20DET-RB25DET-SHROUD-12-FAN-/250901727939?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6ae88ac3&vxp=mtr ...which has an overall height of 13.5". Now I haven't measured how much height I can get away with in my 280z, but i will pull out the measuring tape tomorrow.

The point was to save costs.

The mckinney one is what...$300-$500?

This was roughly $110 shipped, $30 for a Volvo fan and relay. Add in an aluminum pan to build a shroud a couple brackets from a junkyard, and I should have a pretty good cooling system same side for under $160.

The only thing I'd worry about is quality really.

This is a legitimate concern figuring ebay. That said, I've been quite impressed by most of the ebay intercoolers and whatnot I've got. It's nice that it's all aluminuim as well, so if it needs a repair it's just a matter of welding it up. It arrived yesterday, and I just need to pick it up from the states (I'm in Canada). Will let you guys know how it looks in there.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

updates??? hows the fitment and how did you mount it securely?

Looks like it's going to fit great. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Just got married and the house is a little crazy...plus working on cabinetry stuff for new place.

This project has taken a back seat, but I look forward to getting it going asap. Fire up the garage heater and go!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...