HybridZ

Fitting 15X10's '79 280zx

Jenova

I have searched alot, just to let everyone know, but I still have not found the answer I am looking for.

I know I can run a 15X10 wheel in the rear of my ZX with no problems, as long as I have either a 0 or negative offset.

As for the fronts, would a -40mm(or more positive offset) 15X10 fit in the front with stock struts/springs(With a very small sidewall)? I've looked but no one runs 15x10 in the front, usually 15X8 or 15X9.5.

You'll need a much more negative offset. My coilover perches get in the way with am 8in wide wheel with 4in of backspacing (-13 offset). so you need at Either way you will need to modify the fender, either an overflare or an extreme pull.

The answer is you need between 3.5 and 4in of backspacing, which would be like -38 to -51, but it will stick out from the fender about 1.5-2 inches

Why are your running 10's in the front? and why are you still on stock springs?

Edited by BluDestiny

You'll need a much more negative offset. My coilover perches get in the way with am 8in wide wheel with 4in of backspacing (-13 offset). so you need at Either way you will need to modify the fender, either an overflare or an extreme pull.

The answer is you need between 3.5 and 4in of backspacing, which would be like -38 to -51, but it will stick out from the fender about 1.5-2 inches

Why are your running 10's in the front? and why are you still on stock springs?

I was wondering if it was possible to run 10's on the front, and it's just for when I'm done working on the suspension. And I am fine with running a large negative offset all around with pulled fenders, that's the exact look I am going for. So as long as I stick to 3.5-4 inch of backspacing I should be okay on all four corners?

With springs and struts yes, if you go coilovers you can get more wheel under the car.

I have coilovers and run a 16x10 in the rear with 0 offset. Could probably run -13 and get away with it. My fronts on the other hand are 16x8 -13 and are very close to hitting my rolled fender and my coilovers. But I have no pull anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have searched alot, just to let everyone know, but I still have not found the answer I am looking for.

I know I can run a 15X10 wheel in the rear of my ZX with no problems, as long as I have either a 0 or negative offset.

As for the fronts, would a -40mm(or more positive offset) 15X10 fit in the front with stock struts/springs(With a very small sidewall)? I've looked but no one runs 15x10 in the front, usually 15X8 or 15X9.5.

This website is probably pretty useless to you. You need to find one of those much more usefull websites that is dedicated to wheel offset, camber, fender rolling, and fitting tires with a six inch treadwidth on a ten inch wide wheel. Generally this site focuses on modifications engineered performance, driveability, and reliability. You should find one dedicated to more useful data.

Now that that is out of the way, my 15x10 -0 fit fine up front with 1 inch spacers effectively making them -25. The problem was the big 23x11.5x15 hoosiers. I would bet that a slightly more narrow tire (or better less offset) would have done the trick.

This website is probably pretty useless to you. You need to find one of those much more usefull websites that is dedicated to wheel offset, camber, fender rolling, and fitting tires with a six inch treadwidth on a ten inch wide wheel. Generally this site focuses on modifications engineered performance, driveability, and reliability. You should find one dedicated to more useful data.

He's very right. First time I saw this thread my first reaction was "15x10 doesn't fit" then I played around in my head and realized you didn't specify tire size, but rather rim size and figured out that there was a chance you cared more about rim width than tire width.

There's nothing "wrong" with the stance crowd, hellaflush crowd, or what ever crowd you'd not like to be associated with, but for the most part that's just not us on this site.

Most people here would ask questions like "How did you fit a 255 tread tire in the front of your S130?" Because that's who we are. The people that care about style or looks above performance are few and far between here. Thus, since we're so performance oriented, when someone asks if a rim fits we care more about teaching you to fish, not just giving you one. We want to make sure you understand how to measure clearances since rim clearance is JUST the beginning of wheel fitment.

And by the way, a 9.5" rim is plenty to fill in the front with more tire than the well can handle. 9" works perfectly imo.

• 6 months later...

He's very right. First time I saw this thread my first reaction was "15x10 doesn't fit" then I played around in my head and realized you didn't specify tire size, but rather rim size and figured out that there was a chance you cared more about rim width than tire width.

There's nothing "wrong" with the stance crowd, hellaflush crowd, or what ever crowd you'd not like to be associated with, but for the most part that's just not us on

And by the way, a 9.5" rim is plenty to fill in the front with more tire than the well can handle. 9" works perfectly imo.

Bumping an old thread , So i orderd a set of wheels 15x9 0 offset all around has anybody had any experience with this setup and how much tire can I fit under there with the one inch drop Edited by Clashez

Bumping an old thread , So i orderd a set of wheels 15x9 0 offset all around has anybody had any experience with this setup and how much tire can I fit under there with the one inch drop

I don't know if theres a rule for old thread bump, but I run 15x9 -15 and it barely clears the stock perch. (no coilovers) 

I fit 225/60 but It WILL front will rub hard in a dip. and rear will cut into the treads.    also, width differ from company to company so I'd play it safe unless you can do some major mods to the suspension like PPK.   

also Offset is everything

Edited by Skatekov

Bumping an old thread , So i orderd a set of wheels 15x9 0 offset all around has anybody had any experience with this setup and how much tire can I fit under there with the one inch drop

Not enough to constitute the 9" wheel.  Keep the fronts as spares for the rear and get a pair of 7"s or 8"s as you can't get a tire for a 15x9 that is not 27 inches tall.  BFG has a new 225/45/15 that would be perfect for the front with a 7 or an 8, but they are not recommended for a 9.

Not enough to constitute the 9" wheel.  Keep the fronts as spares for the rear and get a pair of 7"s or 8"s as you can't get a tire for a 15x9 that is not 27 inches tall.  BFG has a new 225/45/15 that would be perfect for the front with a 7 or an 8, but they are not recommended for a 9.

Which was 100% the reason rudypoochris started the rota group buy. He wanted wide tires but found it impossible to find a selection of street tires in 15" or even 16" rims. So he started the group buy and now there's a widely available, affordable, wide rim that gives you some decent tire options. And they work great on the S130 still..

I was thinking of running 205/55/15's on the front and something little higher in the rear

Those would fit. Stretched as heck and would look very bad unless you slammed the car to close the wheel gap.

Since "fit" is such a relative term these days perhaps I should rephrase my above statements.  Yes you "can" get 15x9's on the front, you will need spacers for the 0 offset.  Yes you "can" get street tires that will mount to them, they may even hold a bead, will likely hold air, but what they will not do is everything else that tires are supposed to do.  Am I the only one who sees a trailer when I look at a z with trailer tires on it? 

Since "fit" is such a relative term these days perhaps I should rephrase my above statements.  Yes you "can" get 15x9's on the front, you will need spacers for the 0 offset.  Yes you "can" get street tires that will mount to them, they may even hold a bead, will likely hold air, but what they will not do is everything else that tires are supposed to do.  Am I the only one who sees a trailer when I look at a z with trailer tires on it? 

^lol, PPK, Me and couple of people, + most Japanese people run 15x9, and over 9J  wheels with stretched tires.   People have their own definition of fit ya know.   Its up to Clashez to determine what direction he's headed in really.      225/60/15 ain't a trailer tire is it?     neither is 225's and 215's  or even 205 (ppk) with 50, 55.  they're weird sizes, but some companies still make em.