HybridZ

Fitting 15X10's '79 280zx

Jenova

^lol, PPK, Me and couple of people, + most Japanese people run 15x9, and over 9J  wheels with stretched tires.   People have their own definition of fit ya know.   Its up to Clashez to determine what direction he's headed in really.      225/60/15 ain't a trailer tire is it?     neither is 225's and 215's  or even 205 (ppk) with 50, 55.  they're weird sizes, but some companies still make em.   

Indeed.. kids around here, and probably some Japanese people as well, will do all kinds of things that I wouldn't do.  As for the trailer tire comment, that was meant for the 205/55.  I'm not sure, but I think that is at least close to the size tire on my trailer, and those are on like 5.5" or 6" wheels, not 9's or 10's.  Like I said it may hold air and a bead, but those are not the only duties of a tire.  My zx is one of the few I have seen with 15x10's and appropriately sized tires up front.  I know what it takes to do it and it isn't easy.  And no, the sizes you mention aren't weird sizes, in fact they're quite common.  Putting them where a 255 to 275 should go is the only weird thing. 

^lol, PPK, Me and couple of people, + most Japanese people run 15x9, and over 9J  wheels with stretched tires.

That really shows some ignorance. The japanese scene is a lot bigger than just drift and car shows. Look at what the big companies in Japan, that so many others aspire to be like, and find something to share that has insanely stretched tire with stupid camber...

Examples:

56.jpg

Hey look, one of the mose coveted tuner S2000's out there.... see insane stretch or camber?

Or how about the blitz R35?

2738368140_f44cec3aea_o.jpg

Or how about the mines?

Mines-R35-GT-R.jpg

Point being, the people that make cars that actually have to DRIVE on the street generally stay within the RECOMMENDED limits put forth by the tire manufacture...

As far as I recall, PPK would run wider tire and less camber if the suspension allowed it. I never got the impression that he LIKED running an undersized tire.

Well last week I ordered just two wheels as I know I'm definitely going to go 15x9 in the rear

Here are the pictures

rear

IMG_20130702_182624.jpg

IMG_20130702_182537.jpg

IMG_20130702_182523.jpg

IMG_20130702_182509.jpg

Now the front

Touching the strut

IMG_20130702_175142.jpg

IMG_20130702_175131.jpg

IMG_20130702_175030.jpg

Possible rethinking of doing a 9 up front and just going with a 8

And yes I do like a little stretch in the tire

An 8 would be great up front. I would run a 225 in the rear and a 215 in the front

50's ? And you think the x8's wont touch the struts ? I want it to be flush with the fender with no camber Edited by Clashez

That really shows some ignorance. The japanese scene is a lot bigger than just drift and car shows. Look at what the big companies in Japan, that so many others aspire to be like, and find something to share that has insanely stretched tire with stupid camber...

Examples:

56.jpg

Hey look, one of the mose coveted tuner S2000's out there.... see insane stretch or camber?

Or how about the blitz R35?

2738368140_f44cec3aea_o.jpg

Or how about the mines?

Mines-R35-GT-R.jpg

Point being, the people that make cars that actually have to DRIVE on the street generally stay within the RECOMMENDED limits put forth by the tire manufacture...

As far as I recall, PPK would run wider tire and less camber if the suspension allowed it. I never got the impression that he LIKED running an undersized tire.

Well guess what.  I'm from japan. and I AM Japanese.. So yeah, you really piss me off ...EXTREMELY piss me off. There are so many offensive shit in your post I don't know Where to start explaining.

Since YOU are so japanese appearently, I guess I'll write my rant in japanese. good luck using google translate cause its written in japanese slang. 

日本ã§ãŸã„ã¦ã„S130ã£ã¦ã„ã†ã¨æ¹¾å²¸ã‹æš´èµ°ã€ãŸã¾ãƒ¼ã«ãƒŽãƒ¼ãƒžãƒ«ãªã‚“ã ã‚ˆã€æ—¥æœ¬äººã”ã£ã“ã™ã‚‹å‰ã«ã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã¨ã—らã¹ã¨ã‘ã£ã¤ã†ã‚“ã ã‚ˆã€ãŠã‚‰ã 

何回もã„ã†ã‘ã©ãªã€äººã«ã¯ãã‚Œãžã‚Œã‚¹ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ«ã£ã¦ã‚‚ã‚“ãŒã‚ã‚‹ã‚“ã ã‚ˆã€ã€€ã ã‹ã‚‰ã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã¨ã„ã£ãŸã˜ã‚ƒã­ãƒ¼ã‹ã‚ˆã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã¨èª­ã‚ã€ã€€

ãŠã‚Œã¯ã€€ä¿ºã®ã‚¹ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ«ã®å ´åˆãã‚ŒãŒæ™®é€šã ã£ã¦è¨€ã£ãŸã ã‘ã˜ã‚ƒã­ãƒ¼ã‹ã‚ˆã€‚ 

ã‚“ã§ã€ãŸã„ã¦ã„ã®S130ã¯ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ¤ã‚’引ã£å¼µã‚‹ã‚¹ã‚¿ã‚¤ãƒ«ã«ãªã£ã¦ã‚‹ã®ã€€ï¼ˆç¬‘) 

ã‚ã‹ã‚‹ï¼Ÿã€€

ã‚ã‹ã‚“ãªã„ã ã‚ーã­ã€‚

Incase you can't read that, which I highly doubt, I'll write it here in english. 

"In japan, Tuning style of S130 has been increasingly became Boso, or wangan.  barely any 280zx's are kept stock wheels now."

and I never even said a WORD about R35 GTR and how THEY are modified . SO Stop impersonating The Japanese and maybe do some research and use your head. Like I said MANY TIMES, Its up to the PERSON as to what style He/She likes

of course there are high performance modern car tuners in japan and they don't stretch the wheels because they DONT NEED TO with 17+ inch wheels on modern or more-highly modified cars,   

What I ment by "most japanese people in japan" was most people in japan riding a S130, stays in 15's or 16's and stretch on wide wheels because thats the kind of modification people around 40's+ (sometimes their children)that ride the ZX In japan do.   

And also, to note that the stupid hellaflush and slammed scene, came recently, base on ancient BOSO cars from 80's. which are illeagal and unpractical in japan, and not many like them in general.   NO ONE used to do THAT extreme of a pull on tires except for BOSO styles ok? 

01.jpg

SK%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9CS130%E5%9E%

p1.jpg?ct=8e1d9466266b

Look, I could go on for years and years story telling about old school japanese car scene If I want.      So please do your self a favor and maybe research a bit further.  or actually read the post.    

You really offend ME as being Japanese.   

If you want to actually hear the story and learn about the different car culture and styles, etc of japan, PM me.  Seriously. I hate people with misunderstandings.

Edited by Skatekov

50's ? And you think the x8's wont touch the struts ? I want it to be flush with the fender with no camber

get 15x9 -15 or -20 if you insist on 9s. 

for 8's you gotta get way more negative offset for flush. and no, 8 -0et wont touch the strut but it'll be sunk. 

That is basically like I said on my 15x10's (with spacers equivalently) -25 the wheel would "fit" as in bolt on, but the strut would be buried in the side wall of the tire when the lugs where torqued down.  I need my car to do things like turn and stop, so I went widebody.  Now 275's fit no problem.

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread, I was confident in ordering a pair of 15x10J -40 offset wheels for the rear, but they stand 2 inches outwards the body.

The photo below is of the car with the wheel bolted on and lowered on to a block of wood, to see how it will actually stand. Wouldn't this just look wrong and rub with the fender?

1091106_10151792922785923_274736124_o.jp

If anyone can post photos of similar fitment to give me courage so I can keep them and not sell them for 15x9 :)

Edited by Ryan C

After reading this thread, I was confident in ordering a pair of 15x10J -40 offset wheels for the rear, but they stand 2 inches outwards the body.

The photo below is of the car with the wheel bolted on and lowered on to a block of wood, to see how it will actually stand. Wouldn't this just look wrong and rub with the fender?

1091106_10151792922785923_274736124_o.jp

If anyone can post photos of similar fitment to give me courage so I can keep them and not sell them for 15x9 :)

Not sure what part of this thread gave you such confidence.  My 15x10's where effectively -25 with the spacer, and they barely fit the rear with a very short 23" tire.

Watch out, they might bite back talking about how you just don't get their style

As for me and my house, we shall serve the wider tire. :wink:

And they would be correct, this (style) too shall pass.  We'll just keep on removing weight, adding power, and striving for traction the way gearheads always have.  I'm just an s130 junkie who knows guys that have raced.. ahem RACED... s13's since the 90's and I know how they feel about current styles.  I guess I thought my beloved chassis was insulated from such riff raff; however, threads such as this have provided that their truly is nothing holy.  Now I am no purist, but this is "Hybridz" and we used to be renowned for our discussions on performance and on the huge amount of intellect and experience that was on tap here.  Guess those were the good ole days.