HybridZ

Exhaust Choices.

Shemyazaz

Quick question for you Ford guys. I'm about to be at the point where I need to drag the Z to the muffler shop to get the eshaust installed, but I'm not sure what sort of mufflers to get. I'll be running 2.5" true duals all the way out the back. I want loud but deep. I know the 302 can sound really nice, especially with headers like I have.

Any suggestions? I've been considering Cherry Bomb extreem or something like that.

I have a single 3" to a thrush welded, chambered muffler, and it sounds pretty good during acceleration and at idle, but it's a bit too loud when you're cruising down the highway with it throbbing. If you're planning on doing a lot of street driving don't be afraid to put some quiet mufflers on it. I need to find a quieter muffler for mine.

Tecreatta- I'm probably going to end up with those cherry bombs, or the flowmaster equivalent. I'm just not too sure what sounds right on a ford since this is my first one. And the kanji is because of my longstanding obsession with the akuma Z.

Octopus- Does that Thrush drone much? I've been considering them.

Make sure you include an H or X pipe in the exhaust as this will make the exhaust note less harsh.

I ran Flowmaster 40 series for a long time on my Ford Powered Z. I alway got compliments on the sound. However, they do tend to have a 2000-2500 rpm drone. Two years ago, I redid the rear of my exhaust and replaced the Flowmasters with Borla Pro-XS mufflers. The Borlas sound way better, and weigh about half as much as the Flowmasters.

post-30-056023000 1349996998_thumb.jpg

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

Yes, throbbing=droning etc. (couldn't think of the right term) The thrush I have I think is basically a Flowmaster 40 series knockoff. Very similar looking, and I'm guessing similar sounding as well (for a bit less $ too). I have the tailpipe extending to the rear bumper, but I have a 90° turndown, so I'm not sure if that is bouncing sound back at me or not. (Never tried it w/out the turndown)