HybridZ

Z32 TT rear Hubs on 240Z rear housing. Can This Be Done?

01vincer6

Has anyone ever looked at this as a possibility? I was pulling the rear end out of the car to get it ready for the R230 swap and set the Z32 TT hubs next to the stub housing and it looked possible. Ya T3 has a backing plate that they use in their kit but why not just attach it to your existing housing?

post-3226-025951100 1350069346_thumb.jpg

post-3226-074559900 1350069370_thumb.jpg

post-3226-024580400 1350069355_thumb.jpg

post-3226-097602000 1350069417_thumb.jpg

post-3226-023742600 1350069461_thumb.jpg

The benefit would be a five lug hub?

How do you plan to hold the hub to the strut. Are you asking about fitting bearings or machining things to fit or both? The small details are usually the killers.

The benefit would be a stub axle that has options that dont break, and yes, 5 lug.

Oh yeah, and you can go to any junkyard and pull these parts.

And I need you to make this work so i can do it also... haha

Chequered Flag Joe has some 41 spline chromoly Z31 shafts just like the pair that I had for sale for over a year and finally sold. The shaft diameter is a bit larger than the 240/260/280Z, but the stock Z31 unit tapers down a lot to the inside bearing and I think some guys were breaking them there, and that's why the chromoly units were made in the first place (no taper, much stronger). Username SATAN here has a similar set on his Z31 and helped me out a lot when I got that pair trying to figure out what worked with them.

I think the main issue is going to be finding a bearing that fits the larger shaft and the stock hub. I would think that it's probably going to be impossible to find a bearing that works. Modifying the strut for a larger bearing is not going to be easy; I don't think there is a lot of room in the hub to machine it out, and it's all one big cast steel piece.

It would be nice to find a more modern rear that had a plug through CV setup like most RWD cars use nowadays and then adapt that in. Might also solve all the CV upgrade issues at the same time, and allow for bigger brakes, etc. Problem is that there aren't many RWD strut based systems anymore. This is basically what TTT did, but their upright looks clunky to me.

Edited by JMortensen

It would be just bolting the z32 hub to the flange on the 240z stub housing. Only thing you have to do is cut the bearing race off like I did,cut an adapter plate (3.5"x5" 1/2" plate) drill holes to match the 4 bolt z32 hub flange and 240z 4 bolt flange and cut a 3-3/8 hole for the bearing to clear. You would then use the z32 disc brakes and z32 shorter axles.

post-3226-087040800 1350082686_thumb.jpg

post-3226-060318200 1350082696_thumb.jpg

What did you mean by "cut the bearing race off"? You need two surfaces for the outer (larger diameter) races, and a means to clamp the inner races together with a spacer in-between. The strut holds the outer races and the hub rides on the inners. Loads transferred by the bearings. Ball bearings in the rear, not rollers, for the 240Z's and 280Z's, maybe in general for the rear bearings.

As I understand things, no expert.

The axle will use the bearing in the z32 hub not any of the 240z bearings. I just started looking at this today and have much more to look at. I was just posting to see if anyone has tried this and the progress i have made. I'm not sure if it will work but i will keep you updated.

01vincer6, you hit the nail on the head on your last post "the axle would have to pass through the 240Z housing". The problem is is that the axle end is larger than the 240Z housing so there is no way that the hub could be bolted to the housing because the azle too big to go through it. I noticed this when I was doing the R230 conversion.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Infiniti M30 stub axles are 2mm thicker at the splines (around 29.5mm) than the Z31 stub axles (27.5mm) and around 23.8mm thick at the threaded portion (z31 are 22mm) though it looks like they are the same thickness (30mm) where they pass through the bearing.

All measurements were taken with a digital caliper simply put over the splines and threads.

Sadly, they are 4 lug and use a much larger diameter companion flange which is the only one that fits that stub axle because of it's larger diameter and spline pitch.

You would have to use the halfshafts, companion flange, and stub axles from the m30 all together.

It might work fine for a 280zx or any other earlier Z that can accept the stub axle/flange/halfshafts conversion from a z31 but you are stuck with 4 lug wheels and having the same axle length issues when putting them into S30.

I can't guarantee they are stronger even though they are thicker.

Edited by HowlerMonkey