HybridZ

Gas Tank Sump

I just had my tank media blasted, boiled, and sealed. While doing so I delivered a Competition Engineering sump to be installed as a part of my fuel system upgrade.

When I got it back, instead of drilling out three - five holes in the floor of the tank and welding in the sump, they cut out the bottom of the tank the size of the while sump. As a result the sump is now not baffled. I don't like it and am not happy with it but the vendor basically said, "Too bad unless you want to pay us to fix it."

I took my tank and left.

I have a real concern about the sump not being baffled properly and in low fuel situations allowing for fuel starvation. Am I right to be concerned or am I worrying about nothing?

I have a 75 z with the stock tank and pickup I regularly track and autocross the car. Any less than a half tank and the car starves for fuel in the corners. I just have not got around to putting a fuel cell in it. Not problem on the street or with street tires on though.

Hhmmm... I didn't think about this before. I ordered a non baffled sump for my build thinking it would be good enough, maybe we can get some good input on this so I know if I need to fab up a baffle for mine.

The sump isn't baffled and that's OK because if it was installed correctly the bottom of the tank would be the baffle. As they did it, there is nothing to keep gas from sloshing out at all because the whole bottom where the sump is was cut out.

You replied over on zcar.com, if that's what you mean. He posted the same thing on classiczcars, zcar and here, maybe more.

I did. I posted on "all" the Z boards for maxumum exposure and opinions. Thanks to all for the replies and comments.

Edited by Fire604