HybridZ

Has anyone been pulled over for engine swap?

_Donovan_

I thought about just getting my Purple Heart plates or the Iraqi freedom plate in hopes of not getting fucked with, But I like my vanity plate as it is. "TOOL BAG" Unfortunately if anything will help get me pulled over, that is probably the biggest. The other problem is I am no longer Active Duty, I am Reserve for now and chose to move to Cali just for a certain college I want to attend. Again hopefully I can still just forget about registering it there. I was pulled over in my 350Z with PA plates in Maryland and had to look up the regs on it but did find that it was ok, I think I need to go find those again and stick in the glovebox.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, now that's a different story. Going to school out there would be completely different than being there on orders.

Question: Will you be paying tuition as an out-of-state student? My understanding (and this is very vague) is that you need to live there for at least 6 months to a year to qualify for in-state tuition. If you're attending as an out of state student then I would think you should be exempt from registering the car.

I'm not the government but in my world, they can't have it both ways. I don't see how they can demand that you register there but not grant you in state tuition. Out-of-state tuition, out of state plates. In state, then you need to do as the Romans do.

Personally, I wouldn't register is until they MADE me.

The ONLY penalty you will pay is for your own stupidity when you trudge into the DMV and say something stupid like "The CHP pulled me over six months ago and said I had to get it registered..."

If and or when the time comes that you MUST register it (and this is some cop ticketing you, then RETICKETING you and citing the CVC that compels you to register it...)

Then you trudge down to the DMV and say you JUST got in (prove it with your two tickets) and need to register the car.

Until such time as that happens, I'd say "blow me"...

You realize California DOES NOT have reciprocity with ALL states, right? Points and infractions on your drivers license MAY NOT be relayed to your home state. Therefore not affecting your home state insurance coverage, or any other licensing renewal issues.

But far be it from me to say 'blow me' in earnest, by all means you should go to the DMV immediately let them see your car, assess it for $25,000 and charge you 8% SALES TAX for the privilege of informing them you have come to the state to avail yourself of the higher educational establishments. Just like that poor bastard with the Impala SS from Michigan lives down the road from me. Boy was he shocked when they nailed him for ASSESSED OLD COLLECTOR CAR VALUE! Yes, you should totally comply because you MIGHT some day get caught, and then you will HAVE to do it and there won't be any penalty for not doing it TO that point, other than your guilt that you knowingly broke the law.... You're a veritable pederast, you are!

I just read up on the entire thing. According to the CA DMV publications I do have to register my vehicle in the state and get a drivers license there as well. Bummer. Here's how it works if anyone cares.

If I was still Active Duty Army I would be exempt as long as the vehicle is either registered at my permanent home address or the state of my Duty station. This does not apply to Reservist unless they are on some sort of Active Duty orders there and their home station is out of state, aka TDY.

Individuals that are recently discharged from the military are exempt until they become gainfully employed in the state, as in a job, register to vote, or paying tuition. Then they have 20 days to change over.

Out of state residents for college are also exempt unless over the age of 23. 23 and younger may still keep their out of state license and registration but over 23 and over have 20 days from either the start of the college or a job to get registered.

49 state emissions cars need to get the REG265F completed as well so that they can be registered in the state. Any vehicle with the 49 state emissions sticker with less than 7,500 miles may not be registered in the state.

So, this all seems annoying. I haven't really looked up how to register it yet. I know that in VA you have to pay sales tax on the vehicle, even if you own it, along with paying again annually. I hope this is not the case. I am pretty certain that I am not changing anything, if I get stopped I am going to say that I am military and hope that covers it.

Edited by _Donovan_

Holy crap, man! Are you sure the school is worth it? I mean seriously, this is not too far from "papers please!"

If you just insist on going to KA, would it be an option to leave the car with family/friends for the year or so you'll be there? Just buy some $1000 beater car for the time being and then when you're done, sell it to some other student. That's what we did in Okinawa.

Haha, yeah. It is pretty worth it. I am 29 and still haven't been to any real college. And I chose WyoTech, California is the best option for me with availability of jobs, GI Bill stipend, as well as an Army unit that I am joining that has a position for me now plus will hold the Warrant Officer spot I need for when I go back to Active Duty. So as much as I don't like California, this looks like where I will be for now. If the Warrant Officer thing works and I can go there then problem solved, if not and I get transferred somewhere else then I am fine with that as well. But the Fremont location for WyoTech is a must at this point.

Also, no, I do not have any family. And yes, I am looking to get another car as well. You may laugh but I am looking for a used Prius as soon as I get settled in.

Maybe not such a bad plan. I think driving a prius gets you a complementary blowjob from the nearest treehugger upon arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

California motor swap stories? I might have a couple, hope I'm not too late to the party.

I lived in California until enlisting. My favorite headaches were due to a built B20 V-tec in my 94 civic. Total sleeper, stock intake and exhaust. I was pulled over once for an exhaust leak, cop said my car sounded modified and made me pop the hood. The build was almost entirely an OEM Honda Frankenstein so I was let go(to the surprise of everybody at the meet) when he couldn't identify any aftermarket parts, even though it was a different series engine. I've had friends with stock engines get basically the same stop but get sent to state ref for having an AEM intake with CARB sticker, the exact reason I kept everything as stock looking as possible.

Every 2 years I had to swap in a stock motor for smog. I basically had to trade motors with a friend for the weekend so they could know what it's like to have a quick car, there's a fun story of my engine bursting into flames in a friends car but that's another story and entirely because my friends are a-holes. 1 year I had a shop owner who said he'd ignore my non-street-legal setup and just test another car with my info punched in. BUT, he offered a pre-check to see if my motor had a shot at passing emissions, he accidentally(?) hit the "test" button and when my car polluted 1000% more than allowable it was red-flagged and now could only be tested at a "test-only" shop where they tend to be a little more uptight. Even after I swapped in a freshly rebuilt stock engine running super clean the test-only shop failed me because timing was advanced a couple degrees too far, I clocked the dizzy and spent another $65 for a re-test. They shoot timing and write it in by hand, they could have let it slide but they preferred to rape a working teenage college student out of his hard-earned money. This experience was my last time dealing with smog. Joined the army, sold the car. When I got back to the states I bought a 75 280Z to avoid smog, wouldn't even consider buying a 76.

Anyways, I'm still on Active duty and have never been questioned about my California plates in Texas or Georgia. Never questioned about not running a catalytic converter in my Z in California so you might be ok with your loud exhaust. I'd advise you to keep your car registered OUT of CA for as long as possible. I only keep mine registered there because I don't want to go through the hassle of registering it from out of state if I ever move back. Since you're going to WyoTech you might have a good chance at finding somebody knowledgeable about if there is a legitimate way to register your Z, but since it's a 76 with a V8 it might be a PITA. You might have to find somebody with a stock L28 and trade for the weekend.

And just throwing this out there, my little brother bought an old Celebrity in Idaho and drove it around CA with Idaho plates for a couple years before registering it. Good luck.

If a cop pulls you over and asks to see under your hood you can say no.

If there is reason to believe that there are illegal modifications (exhaust note) you can pop your hood and let a cop check for himself, or you can refuse and be sent to state ref. At least that's what was explained to me. It falls in line with the same logic of being asked to take a breathalyzer so I never questioned it.

Pfft you guys live in the wrong states. I have 3 inch exhaust pipe sticking through both of my hood vents. Not even sort of subtle. I have only been pulled over once in my home town for going 40 in 55(Cop was behind me, no speedo, hometown cops are rediculously bad). Fortunately it was dark out so I don't think he saw the exhaust. But other than that I have drove by numerous cops and nothing(Knock on wood). Living in the southern "we don't care about emissions" states has its perks.

-Will

Pfft you guys live in the wrong states. I have 3 inch exhaust pipe sticking through both of my hood vents. Not even sort of subtle. I have only been pulled over once in my home town for going 40 in 55(Cop was behind me, no speedo, hometown cops are rediculously bad). Fortunately it was dark out so I don't think he saw the exhaust. But other than that I have drove by numerous cops and nothing(Knock on wood). Living in the southern "we don't care about emissions" states has its perks.

-Will

I've only had issues in California and it was part of a crackdown on illegal street racing. I've been in Georgia for a little over a year and I like the relaxed emissions laws in the South.

1352311440[/url]' post='1027450']

If a cop pulls you over and asks to see under your hood you can say no.

Uh, not in California, my friend! They can do roadside emissions compliance inspections and have had that ability since before I could drive, since before Ponch & John were cruising, hell, back to the days of Broderick Crawford an "Stories of the Highway Patrol"

You say "no" be prepared to walk, likely your car will be impounded.

Act like an obstinate arse, and your life on the roadside becomes very bad, very quickly!

In southern ish Oregon, no emission testing. No 'refs'. Only an exhaust that's too loud will get you a ticket

That's not an invite by the way, all you Californians can stay there. Lol

Yep true here in Medford, Oregon i never had to do any emission testing or been pulled over randomly only if you drive like a total arse other than that hardly ever heard of any street racing problems.

In NC, we have emmissions testing for only ODB and newer cars. I think the cutoff is around 1990. Next year, I will no longer have to even havemy Z inspected as it becomes a "antique" and is exempt at that point.

I was under the impression you didn't have to change address if you were at university student. Maybe Cali is different.

JM