HybridZ

Hatch strut bracket photo needed

DavyZ

My car is sans hatch strut bracket. It looks like the prior owner did without, but I want to install the bracket where it should go. I see the exact location of where this thingie is supposed to mount, but clearly there is a second part that I am still missing. The other day I bought the removable part of the bracket that holds the end of hatch strut, but what I don't and what I do not see is the part that is actually attached next to the window--hopefully that makes sense. I have searched the 'Net but am not getting anywhere; how can photos of this thing be missing from our lives???? Would someone like to be the first on the Web to post some detailed photos? Seriously. Thanks!

Davy

My car is sans hatch strut bracket. It looks like the prior owner did without, but I want to install the bracket where it should go. I see the exact location of where this thingie is supposed to mount, but clearly there is a second part that I am still missing. The other day I bought the removable part of the bracket that holds the end of hatch strut, but what I don't and what I do not see is the part that is actually attached next to the window--hopefully that makes sense. I have searched the 'Net but am not getting anywhere; how can photos of this thing be missing from our lives???? Would someone like to be the first on the Web to post some detailed photos? Seriously. Thanks!

Davy

Here is a picture of the hatch bracket (drivers side) on a 1983 ZX base model. Don't know if this helps you at all but can't hurt either. This is behind the plastic side molding around the rear side window. The other is just for the ball stud that attaches to the hatch itself. The same ball stud is mounted at both ends.

post-28018-018773900 1350416155_thumb.jpg

post-28018-030086800 1350416178_thumb.jpg

I appreciate the photos of the ZX, but the S30 chassis (240Z, 260Z, 280Z) will be different--thanks for the effort! I'm betting the 280Z bracket will be similar to the 240Z.

And yes, my car only has 1 bracket. Supposedly, the Strongarm cartridge is supposed to be 'strong' enough (get it?) to lift the hatch by itself. I'm sure it can at least hold it up even if I had to help the hatch door up.

I'll take some photos if anyone has an example!! I appreciate it!!

Davy

I deleted them from my photo bucket but I'll retake them tomorrow, let me make sure I got the proper pics. You want the bracket that bolts to the car? Or the hatch?

I need a photo of the part that is on the car itself. There must be two parts to the body bracket or something and I looks like I do not have the moun or mouting part that bolts or welds to the body. Thanks for your help.

Davy

That is it. It has 2 spot welds to hold it on. I have a 72 240z which only has one strut on the hatch. Before I had my car painted, I had a second one put on the other side just to make the hatch stay up better. Well, after 10 years, my old painter's low-quality spot welds broke. I drilled it out and re-installed it with 2 pop rivets-I dabbed a little caulk into the holes in the pop rivets. 4 years later, it is still working.

Here is the part that attaches to the car itself,I had made a thread in the WTB section looking for it with a pic:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/106746-wtb-240z-rear-hatch-strut-bracket/page__p__998756__fromsearch__1#entry998756

post-28096-003529300%201336579188_thumb.jpg

Ryan, thanks for the photo. Funny, but even I know that is the correct bracket, I was sent something different. What I have can also be used, but it is missing a second piece. I'm pretty sure they pulled the part from a 240Z, but I need a second piece to the puzzle. What I will end up doing is fabricating the piece that attaches to the chassis and I'll make it so it bolts to the second part they sent me. Again, many thanks for the photo--it shows me what I am looking for and actually what I need. At least I can use it as a photo for fabrication purposes. Cheers!

Davy