HybridZ

77 280z Starting issue

Ok so heres the deal. The car starts always, but there are moments where it takes a bit of encouragement. Dont have any of the cold start system hooked up anymore so starting always takes a couple more cranks than usual initially, but it always fires after 2-3 cranks.

However, after the car has been running for a while and everything is nice and warm under the hood, when I shut the car off and try to start it in 10-15 minutes the motor is VERY hesitant to turn over. Painfully slow cranks, almost as if the battery can't turn the starter, but if I hold the key in the "Start" position, the cranks speed up after 4-5 and then it fires and runs healthy. If I let the car sit for 45 minutes or more the problem does not appear.

I thought it might be a heat soak issue so I wrapped the starter motor in a DEI heat shield blanket, but the issue persists.

Voltage and cranking amps are fine, battery is a Deka EXT16L.

Any ideas?

When it is slowly turning over, is the speed constant or does it have some pulses in it as it cranks? If your starter is healthy it will be a constant speed and sound. If your starter is on the way out, it will have speed pulses and dim the dash lights during the slow part after the pulse and make a chug sound as it spins.

Hope that might help you. Good luck.

Car is on its second starter. Swapped the car to manual, and had to replace the starter so I tried to save money and got an AutoZone one <_< Solenoid went out so I warranty replaced it and now this is happening.

If we can imagine for a minute that the starter makes a vrrm sound, when the problem presents, it goes VRRM....VRRM...VRRM....VRRM...VRRRRRRRRM!!!! (That last one was it starting!) Definitely is an "oscillating" noise. Havent noticed the lights dimming though. Might be another bad rebuild on the physical motor?

Interested in the coolant temp sensor angle as well, what impact would that have? Don't think mine is working, since my coolant temp gauge hasn't worked since I bought the car!

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can make some progress on it this weekend, gonna be a rainy one!