HybridZ

Positively Displaced

Xnke

So you came close to Blowing the Welds on your Intake?

Poop Doors like at the back of the NHRA Blowers, emergency relief valves. O ring seal, a bridge, some inner valve springs, and locking nuts to tension it closed. It's a PITA seating cracking and reseat pressure, though! Need high volume air.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Tony,

Sorry for the confusion about the welds. I just meant that if I was in his situation and one of my welds failed I would feel even worse. I was implying it wasn't because he built it pourly. It looked like he did a great job. It just seems like he got really unlucky. Shit happens, even to the best of us.

Yeah, no shrapnel under the hood. I bet the leaking injector probably caused at least part of it... the bigger issue is the oil all over the intake. Leakdown test doesn't immediatly point to bad rings, compression is dead even on all cylinders. I am thinking valve stem seals, I had some problems with this set of valve guides cracking, and will be finding another supplier if I find more guides cracked now. Cracking on insertion, I missed one when I assembled it. I caught it when I suspected the stem seal, it was easy to see when it seeped a fine line of oil.

I was referring to the oft scoffed-at line from "Fast and Furious" where guys malign "blowing the welds on the intake" as some ricer impossibility...

A blower backfire without the pop-door, a Nawws backfire.... Or simply too much pressure like the Zisizit Super Z at Bonneville, where they were confounded that the car wouldn't go faster and finally found the welds on the manifold had blown under boost, and were just dumping air overboard limiting them to the low 180's.... They re-welded the manifold and set a record that remains today.

So whenever someone gets near something CLOSE to use that old FNF quote....it comes out!

I refuse to use "granny shiftn'" though...

90$ later, a 21" chunk of mailbox extrusion shows up at my door.

60hrs a week at work plus waiting four to five hours a day to get home means I leave for work at 7:30AM, and get home from work at 9 or 10 at night. Not much time left for working on the car that STILL isn't even at the shop; it's in the parking lot under 24 hour surveillance at work.

Heheheh.

I can add this to the wall of "awwww FSCK!" along with the asploded muffler.

More money spent, brand new injectors (not rebuilds!) are en route. I will be bringing the car home tomarrow.

All the math has been done again, the air horns will be machined in pairs (I don't even want to think about this right now) and I will be attempting a clone of the SK turbo Mikuni PHH airbox. I have the Ross mailbox plenum material; and will be bringing air in the bottom of the plenum, around a diffuser plate, and then into the air horns.

AND i get to keep my adjustable runner length!

Edited by Xnke

I have a Summit Racing Turbo-muffler, split down the side and one end blown nearly off, a reminder to hook up the ignition coil power circuit BEFORE you crank the engine over for 5 minutes, trying to figure out why it won't start, then remembering the ignition kill switch and immediately cranking it over, lighting off that exhaust pipe full of 14.7:1 air-fuel mixture...

Then there is a damper that's been spun...

An oil pump drive shaft that has had the gear spun...

A cylinder head with a repaired crack between 2 and 3, ought to be re-assembled and sold...

Now a bulged intake plenum!

Everyone and their f&f Quotes lol.

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

Enough with the fast and furious crap. It was a fun movie series; but I'm not mad, bro.

Machined the first inside profile today; bored to 1.5" ID and then started the radius.

bore 10* off, 0.75" deep

bore 20* off, 0.375" deep

bore 30* off, 0.1875" deep

bore 40* off, 0.093"deep

bore 50* off, 0.0465" deep

Hand-blend the angles

Roll the edge of the horn.

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled the plenum assembly off today; found the #2 intake runner had about a half cup of gasoline in it, found my leaker.

Cleaned all that out, spun the engine over a few times and did a compression check, everything seems OK, nothing appears broken. All the intake valves look very clean, although it was sucking a LOT of oil through the intake manifold, from the PCV valve. I think my PCV valve was busted though, it no longer rattles. That would explain all the oil.

Still doesn't explain why plug #4 kept fouling. I will have to re-visit that problem once the plenum assembly is back in place; and the engine runs again.