HybridZ

LS1 Engine Offset in Engine Bay

Hi All,

I need some help. Can a few members with LSx blocks take a couple of measurements for me? I'm in the process of locating my LS1 engine in the DatsunZ bay and I know the engine is offset to the passenger side by some amount. I'm doing my own mounts and this information would be a huge help. Can you measure from the frame rails both left(driver) and right(passenger) straight over to the engine block. Most folks use John's mounts and that is fine. To the 1/8" is fine. THANKS!!!!!

Danno74z

v8dats,

Help me out here. Where is your post about wanting pictures of my mounts? I went to your most recent posts and I don't see your request.

Never mind, I dug a little deeper and I found your post.

I don't have the mount system totally designed just yet but it will be very similar to my test engine stand mounting system. The system uses biscuit mounts that are found on the 2005 GTO and probably the vet. It has two vertical "towers" which are bolted to a horizontal crossmember. That crossmember is then bolted to the Datsun framerails that I have reinforced with 1/8" flat steel. My existing framerails in the engine compartment were in fine shape - no rust but I'm in the process of building my framerails that follow the floor pans. Those were totally shot and bent. As soon as I finish those on to the engine installation. But I need some help from members to my original request for engine placement.

Danno74Z

Edited by Danno74Z

I thought if you center the engine between the rails you have no room for the exhaust header on the driver's side as it hits the steering shaft? That is the reason the engine is shifted slightly to the passenger side using John's mounts? I'm thinking about 1.5" but want to be sure.

Danno74Z

I think mine was offset towards the passenger side just a little bit. Don't over think it though, unless you have scales and are trying to position the engine to even out the side to side weight balance, offsetting it any amount is just guessing. I posted a link to my custom mounts in the mentioned thread. Don't worry to much about meeting some "requirements" about the engine position. If it fits its going to work. I think the only measuring I did on my engine position was to make sure it was straight in the engine bay and the crank pulley wasnt hitting the rack and pinion(Your pinky finger works good there). What it comes down to is put it as low down and as far back as you can get it, maybe offset it a 1/4 inch to the passnger side and make sure its straight, and make sure the shifter fits. Get to welding!

-Will

After a little research from the original JTR book both the Datsun engine and the new Chevy350 engine are offset to the passenger side by 3/4". The spacers that JTR sells and has diagrams for calls for 2.5" and 1.5" spacers. I guess to make it easy he added the 1/4" to the driver's side. I will use 3/4" as a starting point.

Danno74Z

I fabricated a cross brace and brackets to facilitate using C5 Corvette motor mounts. I am keeping the accessories which the JCI mounts don't play friendly with. I know the mounts are equidistant from the frame rails therefore I suspect my motor is dead center.

When you indicate GTO biscuit mounts is this what you mean? If so I can provide motor mount measurements with respect to the frame rails.

post-4776-015461800 1350939684_thumb.jpg

post-4776-053121700 1350939701_thumb.jpg

post-4776-037942500 1350939730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Litman

If you plan to race competitively and are concerned with weight distribution then as far to the right as will fit to offset the left heavy bias that inevitably happens with the driver. If it's just a street car it probably doesn't matter and do what's easy. I think mine is offset 3/4". Everything fits well but I'm still at 51% left side weight so it could stand to go over even farther if it would fit.

Cameron