HybridZ

Olds Delta donor car

Ok. here is the scenario. I have a slightly built 350 in the Z right now. mated to a turbo 350 trans I am told. It sucks mucho gas!

(elderbrock intake and heads, some kind of lifters or rollers whatever!, cam, moroso oil pan, 4 core radiator. I don't know the true specs of the internal parts cause the guy i bought it from didn't know either.) I think its hooker shortie exhaust headers.

Also it developed a trans leak. right under the shifter area. and the engine needs to be cleaned and polished. Also needs a smaller carb. Other than that the engine is good, starts, and runs strong.

I'm wondering if it is possible to yank a 1983 Oldsmobile Delta88 motor and trans and swap it over to the Z. of course with out buying anything new. just swap. Thinking radiator and all. Also has a column shifter

Let me know if this is just a R&R motor mounts match and the exhaust headers.

Edited by Rusty Bomb

This wont solve your problem.learning how to tune and set up your engine for your application will.Sounds like somebody got a summit racing catalog and bought a whole bunch of parts and hoped it would work.Its probably running too rich on the a/f mixture and the ignition curve hasnt been set up in the distributor.+ you need a 3.55 or 3.31 rear gear .If it was running correctly you wouldnt have to give it much throttle to drive it.

I think you would be the first to do the swap, so it may or may not be as simple as fabbing motor mounts. Take photos if you do this swap--makes one wonder just what will fit into the Z. With the relatively low cost of SBC parts, I'm wondering just why you would not want to fix the issues with the small block and leave what already works alone? I'm just thinking out loud.

Davy

Ain't going to happen anytime soon especially if it takes fabrication. And I gotta find a place. Sad thing is I got the cars both run cherry.

Just want to know how possible. Easy/hard it is.

Thez z really has bad gearing the motor rinds fine Not rich Or lean, does have a over size Carb (dual pump)

The turbo 350 is your main gas drinking problem, I know when I had mine with a 3.9 rear end, the rpms were too high for the highway it was 4k at 70 mph. I took out a loan for a bowtie overdrives 700r4, I have no regrets, even after spending that kinda of cash. they have been more than fair with me. I even drove up and looked at their shop, seemed like an pretty good company to do bussiness with.