HybridZ

rb25 horsepower

240zowner2012

Hey guys my name is Josh. Im new to this forum. But I was wondering if someone could help me figure out the best way to get abot 400-450 hp out of an rb25. I was wondering if I would have to change anything in the bottom end or if that isnt enough hp to do damage. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

It can handle that amount easy. Their are guy's here that have done it, and documented it in the RB Forum. Please start reading through the RB forum for this kind of info. It's been covered.

Look up member J Taylor He has a ton of RB25 info in his threads.

http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry436338

http://forums.hybrid...a45886aa9f54acd

http://forums.hybrid...activity&mid=67

J Talor is actually helping me put my RB25 setup together right now. We are using a 100% stock RB25 w/t67 and shooting for around 450hp. I bought a Haltech e11v2 for tuning, but I think I'll be trading with Jon for his SDS setup.

So all you are doing is changing the turbo and adding a Haltech?

Rb25 can handle some abuse as long as it has a good tune. I've had really good luck with untouched motors.

Hmmm, so if you don't mind me asking, wheres the definable point where the ring lands become a real issue for reliability? I've been doing a lot of reading about it, and before the posts about the hp numbers you posted in another thread, I've seen people complain about them breaking at almost factory power levels and frankly it had me concerned, granted they never specify what they were doing when things went south.

When I do build my car I had intended on keeping it fairly stock and drive it around until i was ready to really go crazy, but reliability is a huge factor in my plans as the main reason i got into this car/engine setup was because my past interests were extremely unreliable to say the least. Even when i do go for power i hadn't really intended to exceed 500hp anyways.

Sorry to impose.

rb25's are relatively cheap compared to the parts you will buy to make the power you want, so I say do what I'm going to do... Buy all the parts that you need to make an intended max HP goal, lets say 650 hp... Put those parts on a stock RB and tune it down to whatever HP number you feel is safe for the motor, let's say 400 hp. Then buy another rb25 long block, and build it to withstand your max hp goal, meanwhile you are able to drive your RBZ and enjoy it.

The only flaw I see with that is, your running the risk of destroying those parts if something were to go south. Were if I put the engine in mostly stock and drive it for a while I can take my time gathering parts and reading what's the best combo for the type of engine I want to build so that I don't have to reorder parts all while enjoying my car without having to skimp out on things.

I've done lots of reading and I've only seen two major flaws that need fixing; the oil pump and the ring lands. Everything else, at least from what I've seen so far is things that either can be dealt with easily or only matter in very high hp numbers/ extreme uses.

This isn't my first build I'm just asking questions motor specific so I can properly plan out what NEEDS to be done and what should eventually be taken care of.

This is the first time I'm seeing any info that tells me I don't need to buy forged pistons right off the bat so I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing by leaving them alone till I decide to build the block for power. Though I still need to read a lot more. Sadly its a little hard at the moment since the hurricane ripped out my internet.