HybridZ

HybridZ Is Not Automotive 101

johnc

This site is an advanced automotive performance site. As a member you are expected to have a basic understanding of how an automobile works and be able to do basic maintenance on your car. You are also expected to have the factory service manual and know how to read it. You're also expected to have tools to work on your car.

If your car won't start, refer to the FSM and exhaust that avenue before posting a question. If there's a clunk in the suspension, refer to the FSM and check all the nuts and bolts in the suspension before posting a question. If you want to buy a set of wheels off eBay crawl under your car with a tape measure and determine if they will fit before posting another bullshit "Will these wheels fit?" questions.

Get your butt out of that chair and figure out these basic things yourself. You will learn a lot, you'll be a better car guy, and you'll stop pissing off us old cranky dipshits.

• Like 1

Or the "old cranky dipshits" could learn some patience and help people better their understanding of some automotive fundamentals.

In your example, that seems to have caused you to start this thread, not everyone understands wheel offsets, or how to measure them. What better way to find out what fits than to ask people who have, or may have used a same or similar sized wheel from the same manufacturer, or similarly constructed.

Some people that DO have "advanced knowledge" of automotive systems are not experts on all automotive systems, and will need to ask questions. If there was no need to ask questions, then there would be no need for forums.

What is so hard about simply clicking the back button, and move on to a topic more to your liking?

What is so hard about simply clicking the back button, and move on to a topic more to your liking?

Because I'm an admin here and its my job to maintain the intent and direction of this site.

Way back in the beginning this forum was started, in part, because a bunch of us got tired of the same questions being asked over and over by people who don't take the time, research, and figure stuff out. They just want the answer without having to think. Sorry, we don't do that. If you don't know what wheel offset is don't ask here. Use Google.

If there was no need to ask questions, then there would be no need for forums.

Forums (this one in particular) are also used to share information that someone else has figured out so people can get answers to their questions themselves.

Some people that DO have "advanced knowledge" of automotive systems are not experts on all automotive systems, and will need to ask questions.

That's fine. And we generally don't worry about that if you've built up a reputation as someone who can think and contribute. But if you've got 3 posts and start asking about how much horsepower a R200 can handle...

The cranky old dipshits had to learn the hard way before the internet was invented.Knowledge was gained by by hard work and sacrafice-probably by doing **** jobs as an apprentice for another cranky old dipshit.The video game generation wants to be spoon fed thier free info.

Not all of us from the "Video game" generation have to be spoon fed. I couldn't agree more on asking stupid questions though. Some people seem to think it's faster or easier to ask a question on a forum when I google search will get you the answer to your question 1000 times over. That is the glory of the internet, the "Video game" generation doesn't have to learn from working crap jobs for previously mentioned old cranky dipshits :P . I learned 95% of what I know from the internet and turning wrenches by myself. I never had a mentor to teach me things, I learned from the internet, and that learning wasn't from posting grade school questions on forums, it was from reading forums and research, research, research. The amount of information you can find just by researching is amazing.

Also, backspacing(Or offset) isn't rocket science, it's a pretty straight forward concept. Like John said, a simple google search will show you what how offset works, and then a tape measurer or ruler will do the rest.

I will throw something out there that is difficult for me and maybe other possible question askers. This forum has been great to read and see all that is out there in the Datsun world. It got me interested in owning a Z again after 20 yrs. without one. I know seeing the same questions repeated is a pain in the a@@, but ignoring a stupid question is always a option. One reason that may happen is searching this forum can be difficult. With so much in here, a simply search can lead to many unrelated subjects that need to be weeded thru. I get very frustrated when looking for something and get nothing or 900 pages of stuff that might have some possible matches. Like helping someone broken down on the roadside, help if you want or just keep going.

By the way, I have not asked a stupid question and yes I have helped a lot of people stuck on the road.

Any help on how to search would be appreciated. I hope that does not count as a stupid question.

You never know, the person at the other end of a stupid question may help you one day......

B&G

Remember this thread John

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread44443.html

Even a well thought out question on a site that not as "technical" as hybridz seemed to irritate you. You even posed that Hybridz would be the place for his "type" questions after your "yawn " comment on his proposal. I'm a little confused here. You will never be able to rid the sites of stupid questions because hopefully we will aquire new members all the time-so maybe you should just ignore them and maybe have a"spot of tea".

Maybe there should be a separate "Automotive 101" sub-forum. Then the "serious" forums won't get muddied up, but there will be a spot for the simple questions. Pinned at the top of the 101 forum could be the links to the xenon sites for FSMs, and various 101 type links, like "how an alternator works" and similar. Simple posts can get moved to 101 instead of exiled to the Tool Shed. Win-win.

Edited by NewZed

I agree with this idea and feel it would be a great starting point if you're a complete beginner or [knowledge] weak in one area or another. There are others on this site that know I'm ignorant i a few areas and a 101 forum would have certainly helped...

Maybe there should be a separate "Automotive 101" sub-forum. Then the "serious" forums won't get muddied up, but there will be a spot for the simple questions. Pinned at the top of the 101 forum could be the links to the xenon sites for FSMs, and various 101 type links, like "how an alternator works" and similar. Simple posts can get moved to 101 instead of exiled to the Tool Shed. Win-win.

I really want to voice my opinion on this but I think Ill just let this one go.

Like all the others keep mentioning, maybe this site is due for another subforum or more faq stickies.

Edited by kaito

If it wasn't for Hybrid Z, I would know very little outside the shop manual. But that's the point. This is where the shop manual ends and where innovation starts. This isn't Classic Zcar Club. It's on this website that the most notable and most well known Z cars are documented, and where the rest of us can get access to the knowledge that went into building those cars.

Maybe that concept isn't pronounced enough at the forefront.

Edited by MidnightRider

Also, backspacing(Or offset) isn't rocket science, it's a pretty straight forward concept. Like John said, a simple google search will show you what how offset works, and then a tape measurer or ruler will do the rest.

I disagree. It might be that straight forward on the rear where there is no steering geometry to deal with. But on the front there are too many variables. (Coilovers, ride height, spoilers, caliper size) I think asking a forum like this what offset people have used with their specific combination is a valuable option.

If this is only an advanced Tech/performance forum I guess we need to ditch all the "Show us your bumper" or "Show us your ashtray" or "show us your grill" posts? I am not convinced either way, but it is hard to know where to draw the line. I think the option of "The right question in the right place" is the way to go. IE have a FAQ/Mechanic 101 section and if you don't like seeing those questions you always have the option to not look there.

I conduct myself similar to any 51 year old racer. Cynicism is our middle name. Hopefully in about 10 years I can earn the title of Curmudgeon.

Thanks John! I read this over at Classic and laughed so hard!

For what it's worth this site has really taught me a lot about internet etiquette; assume the best, don’t take things personally and if it is personal, who cares! There are way more important things in life then what someone has said, whom I’ve never met and probably never will!

BTW this also helped me with road rage too! I’m lucky I’m not dead!

Remember this thread John

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread44443.html

Even a well thought out question on a site that not as "technical" as hybridz seemed to irritate you. You even posed that Hybridz would be the place for his "type" questions after your "yawn " comment on his proposal. I'm a little confused here. You will never be able to rid the sites of stupid questions because hopefully we will aquire new members all the time-so maybe you should just ignore them and maybe have a"spot of tea".

That actually turned out to be a great thread and my initial comment ("yawn") at least got the original poster to elaborate much further on his build - which was cost constrained more then anything else (which wasn't anywhere in his original posts). And I think my prediction is correct. We haven't heard a thing from Ted regarding the build which he said he would start after he finished basic training. I hope he proved me wrong and built the engine - as I said almost a year ago.

One reason that may happen is searching this forum can be difficult. With so much in here, a simply search can lead to many unrelated subjects that need to be weeded thru. I get very frustrated when looking for something and get nothing or 900 pages of stuff that might have some possible matches.

I find that the google search algorithms are a bit better at weeding through only tangentially related topics. Just go to your google search and type site:forums.hybridz.org then whatever you're searching for. The results tend to be better.

I find that the google search algorithms are a bit better at weeding through only tangentially related topics. Just go to your google search and type site:forums.hybridz.org then whatever you're searching for. The results tend to be better.

This exactly.

If I turn up zilch in the search bar here, I go to google.

They almost ALWAYS turn up some thread I've never seen, with the answer I'm looking for.