HybridZ

Awesome cylinder head machining video

inline6

Don't worry fellas, I posted on his video in Japanese. Hopefully he will reply. If he's close to the Tokyo / Yokohama area I might try to go check it out in person. I would LOVE to get ahold of a cnc program for l engine heads. I could probably have a buddy run the program for me!

There is a 5 axis program down here @ Stewart Wilkins racing for an E88 head, or was that N42.......

Dyno tested and works quite well. Think it works out to about AUD$5k for a complete 300hp+ head.

There's no way they'd ever realese the G-code on that!

5500 is a cnc port head with big valves bronse guids new seats new springs new light highside retaners new cam and full cnc chamber rework and all set up ready to bolt on and race , there a great thing because the port is the same on all and it saves my hands and arms lol , is it cheeper than a hand port no, but the time we put in to the head to make it right needs to be payed for and i like to be payed for my work

5500 is a cnc port head with big valves bronse guids new seats new springs new light highside retaners new cam and full cnc chamber rework and all set up ready to bolt on and race , there a great thing because the port is the same on all and it saves my hands and arms lol , is it cheeper than a hand port no, but the time we put in to the head to make it right needs to be payed for and i like to be payed for my work

But what if someone just runs the CNC program on your head without the other stuff?

But what if someone just runs the CNC program on your head without the other stuff?

Well, that would be a waste of time!

If you have the capacity to model, program and run an CNC program to do the porting. You have the ability to spec the rest of the head to suit!

Well, that would be a waste of time!

If you have the capacity to model, program and run an CNC program to do the porting. You have the ability to spec the rest of the head to suit!

I just feel like spending 5500 dollars on headwork for a L series engine head is very impractical given the gains.

Anyone with just a little grinding experience and a steady hand can see HUGE improvements over stock without going "all out" on a race ready head from someone like Robello, Paul, Brian, or Peter. This is in no way to devalue what these guys do. But thanks to the resources available on this site ALONE, let alone others out there, there's enough info to properly unshroud the valves, lift the intake ports as much as practical, reshape the bowl, and modify the cooling passages. All of which can get you quite a lot of extra power for very little coin, other than your time.

And honestly, having a CNC to port the heads with is such a small aspect of cylinder head prep. Like Peter said, it saves his arm and cuts down on time. It's not like some magical cure to making power. No such thing as a magic bullet.