HybridZ

Ebay Aluminum Radiator

So last week my DD 72 240Z tossed the fan into the radiator. I think I need some engine mounts and a shroud so I can stop using spacers on the radiator support(but that is another story).

So I went on ebay and found 2 very common aluminum replacements. The price difference is about $60 or so between the two. The more expensive one appears to be the same one MSA sells. Im penny pinching right now but I did not want to use one of the old used ones I had laying around and find out it might be an issue on my way to and from work. So I purchased the cheaper ebay unit.

Ebay Item# 261007900592

So I get this radiator a week after I hit buy. I pull it out and it looks great! The only thing I noticed is that the top tank was not perfectly symmetrical which tells me a little about the assembly process, but no big deal at all.

I have several chassis around the house as some know. 1971, 1972, 1974(early), and 1975 to compare with. I ran into 2 issues. The first issue required cutting of the mounting tabs to get it to fit inbetween the frame rails. I just notched them 1/2 on both sides until they slide into the frame rails and I saw the mounting holes line up... kind of.

Second issue was the mounting holes. One side was dead on. The other side was 1/2" off! The mounting tabs are setup with mounted nuts so its NOT adjustable. The bolt holes were spaced correctly vertically, but the measurement horizontally is off by 1/2 and inch! This leaves you with 2 options. Option A. remove the tig welded nuts from the radiator mounting tabs. Option B. Drill slots into your radiator support!

As a side note the radiator cap mount is really nice, but its not the original cap size and the new cap comes in two styles at the parts suppliers. The Radiator comes with the cap, but when you go to replace it you will need the old one to match it or you may get the one that is to long.

So directly after installing my new radiator I went onto ebay and decided I wasnt gonna **** around and I just left my feedback. Neutral "Did not bolt into car. slight triming and drilling required of mounting plates."

So the next day I get a message from the seller:

"so sorry to trouble you,i see your leave feedback,could you tell me what is wrong.if i could do something for you,then if could you pls change the feedback for me,thanks.

regards

- coolingsuper"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>>From ME

coolingsuper,您好ï¼

I have 1971 240z, 1972 240z, 1974 260Z(early), and a 1975 280Z.

The mounting tabs on this radiator will fit none of these cars. First the bottom of the mounting tabs had to be notched to clear the frame rails. Then the bolt holes that are on the mounting tabs are not lined up with the holes on the radiator support on any of my cars. So I was forced to drill my radiator support and slot the old mounting holes by 2cm total horizontally.

Once that was all modified it fit into the car I realized this radiator is the wrong size for a 1975 or later as they have a taller height. This was not an issue for me, but you have the radiator listed for 1975 vehicles. Late 74 vehicles (9/74) on will also be in the same group as 75 here in the states.

It was a lot of cutting and drilling for a bolt in radiator when I could have bought one that does bolt in for $40 more.

I dont think there is anything you can do to change my feedback other than to modify your radiators to actually fit early S30 chassis and properly advertise the models they fit so it doesnt happen again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

>>Here is the most entertaining response I have received from an ebay seller ever to date:

"i'm realy so sorry for you,i could refudn to you $50 ,is ok,so pls change the feedback for me,thanks.

regards"

Im tempted to take their money and leave the message and just change it from neutral to positive, but then I still feel like I have some moral obligation to the Zcar community to leave it.

You get what you pay for. If you sell out now for $50 you'll have no recourse when the thing starts leaking. Also, I've heard of folks being offered the above by a seller and never getting the refund - after they changed their review to positive.

You get what you pay for. If you sell out now for $50 you'll have no recourse when the thing starts leaking. Also, I've heard of folks being offered the above by a seller and never getting the refund - after they changed their review to positive.

Either way if it has an issue down the road Im not going to be supported by them. If I take the $50, They will ignore me. If I leave it as is Im sure they will ignore me. At least I have access to a tig. I just didnt have the extra change and still dont to buy the more expensive one, and Im not really convinced that the more expensive one would have been much better quality seeing as they are both manufactured in CHINA! If I had known my radiator was gonna have a failure I could have at least planned to have the cash set aside, but it was a surprise after I had already made a few purchases this month. I mean it wasnt like the radiator was rotten or anything, it actually only had about 10K miles on it.

Just because its cheap doesnt mean it should be low quality. Sometimes you can buy good wine for $15.00, right? If all you got is $15 extra for wine after groceries... make the best choice you can.

I'd post your email exchange on the feedback

Thats a good idea.

Im still un-decided on how I will proceed. I may just ignore their request. I think id be okay with changing my feedback if they had a warning on their add. A simple warning that modifications may be necessary. At least then its expected. It would be nice to have the refund(if its a legit refund) for the effort I had to put into installing it beyond the simple bolt in, but then I doubt they will offer that discount to the next joe that has the same issue which I would have a problem with esp being as the next joe could be someone I know from the zcar community.

I brought an ebay rad as well. Same exact issues the verticals lined up but not horizontals. I have a 3 row but I think its a different vendor, as I brought it a bit more expensive. I had to hack away at it, add 3 out of 4 new holes and it sits about 1 inch above the rad support. Luckily the hood closes no issue. I have to say I love the rad but it was alot of work to make it fit, I dont TOTALLY mind making it fit. Being hybridz its make it work mentality but for others that just want to bolt and go, this isnt a good buy. F-it I say take the $50 and change it ONCE you get paid. Honestly YOUR SHOPPING ON EBAY. You pay for what you get, your just warning someone that doesnt really care. All they see is the cheap price tag. I've done my hw and had a 50/50 chance with my rad, it could have sprung a leak by now. Somethings are ok to shop on ebay others arent. So up to you but I say go for the money and post the feedback. Maybe he will actually change the radiator to make it fit, or just sell it as pre 75.

People can't believe they pay to get a positive rating?

I can't believe people who post asking "what we think" about a particular seller because they have " negative feedback" and when you go to look you see something like 11,576 positives and 12 Negatives!

It's a 120$ radiator. That's less than you are going to pay to take your existing unit in and have it recored.

For that price, hell, I'm tempted to buy two and then sandwich them as a 112 mm two-pass core for a high output V8 application...

This issue is not unique to either eBay or aluminum radiators. Two years ago

I bought a copper two core from a national parts chain. The mount holes were

not a match horizontally or vertically. I thought they gave me the wrong unit, but

the catalog and part number matched. I was able to pry the mounts slightly away

from the core to correct the horizontal and drilled new holes to correct the vertical.

Of course no offers for rebate and no way for the local store to update the catalog.

I'd take the rebate and update the feedback to reflect their desire to make it 'right'

and leave a comment about it not being an exact fit.

I'm planning on buying one of these radiator in the future when funds become availible for that. It would be nice to know which Ebay rads actually fit. I realize that's a tall order since they're made by so many chinese outlets and marketed differently. If that "speed daddy" rad was distinguishable from the others I'd be interrested. Really All I want is fit and function. Thanks Rayaapp2 for posting your experience. I'd take the $50 back, then change your feedback, but leave your comment. You told us the seller's name and that his product sucks, so that's much better feedback than seeing a negative in his record. Getting a partial refund means a lot too, especially since you said you need the $.

Phar

You guys will probably hate all over me if I said the Koyo Radiator Factory in Indonesia is one of my distributor's customers...and that I can get the S30 Radiators at the factory (when I showed them the drawing someone posted here...that had the factory address on it!) for the equivalent of $25-35 each. Makes up for the excess baggage fee on United of $50 for two boxed together with a carrying handle. Hell, I even declare them to Customs coming in at that price!

Problem is the two I had I gave away thinking "I'd be back soon" and haven't been back in two years. It was supposed to be this past month...sad.gif

I prefer Japanese Engineered Indonesian ISO-Certified Manufacturing to Chinese Knocked-Off Chinese Manufactured Junk any day...

Especially at that price! Like Kramer and Newman, "It's the shipping that kills the plan!"

Gotta wait till mother's day I guess, when that extra truck is running!

I'm running that Koyo. It is nice. Bolted in no problem. Only thing is that it uses a smaller cap and they claim that it has all the stock mounting locations. Unfortunately, that is just boilerplate language and there are no shroud mounts.

And Tony, If you can get them that cheap,I do hate you. :wink:

Sam

Also running a koyo rad I got from Ebay (i think it was ebay). Great fit and finish the only thing was it look like it may have been dropped by ups since one of the tabs was bent a little. Nothing a rubber mallet couldnt fix.

No leaks or anything, and cooling right on the money with the oem nissan thermostat I also replaced. One thing I do have to do is get those rubber isolator mounts I believe JohnC had said in another post about aluminum radiators.

This may sound harsh and contrary to what most people think but I'm honestly surprised that people have an expectation that aftermarket parts for cars are supposed to work out any issues whatsoever.

Regardless of whether they're built in China, or the US these parts are not necessarily designed by engineers. They arent built on a precision assembly line. They dont go through any kind of qualification process. There really isnt anything to guarantee the manufacturing quality or part design is acceptable short or long term, were all just hoping this is the case. The reality is these are custom parts, built in very low production volumes, by many people/companies all whose quality standards are subject to each individual/company.

I've had issues with just about every aftermarket part I've bought on my car. They all worked in the end but theres always some issue with fit, performance, or design in general. I think when we buy non-OEM parts we take on some bit of risk, when something doesnt work it really sucks but its part of the game.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

I recently bought the Champion 3 row off ebay and its constructed extremely well, and seems very durable. I haven't got it mounted yet in my build but just out of the box it looks very highend. I just did a hold and fit on it the other day, and it looks like it should mount right up without any issues or modifications. Its also made in the USA :)

Edited by AZGhost

1352415131[/url]' post='1027626']

This may sound harsh and contrary to what most people think but I'm honestly surprised that people have an expectation that aftermarket parts for cars are supposed to work out any issues whatsoever.

Regardless of whether they're built in China, or the US these parts are not necessarily designed by engineers. They arent built on a precision assembly line. They dont go through any kind of qualification process. There really isnt anything to guarantee the manufacturing quality or part design is acceptable short or long term, were all just hoping this is the case. The reality is these are custom parts, built in very low production volumes, by many people/companies all whose quality standards are subject to each individual/company.

I've had issues with just about every aftermarket part I've bought on my car. They all worked in the end but theres always some issue with fit, performance, or design in general. I think when we buy non-OEM parts we take on some bit of risk, when something doesnt work it really sucks but its part of the game.

That may be the case with many. Not All by any means.

The Koyo Radiator is designed and engineered by an OEM Supplier that consulted with enthusiasts, and manufacturers their stuff on the same ISO 14,000/9000 etc Assembly lines as they make their OEM Supply Chain units.

China generally knocks off what someone else engineers right now. Sometimes badly. But there ARE engineered components.

Koyo Rad vs China EBay Cheapy

Quaife ATB vs OBX

Trust/Greddy/HKS vs EBay Chinese Cheapies

Just about anything sold legally in Europe is TÃœV approved or certified.

Many people are just expecting too much in many cases. They complain a Quaife is $1,800... They similarly complain the OBX has machine chips and cheap hardware for 1/6 the price.

You can't have it all, all the time. You want something cheap and good quality? Start your own business, then have some Chinese company knock-off a short "quality control test run" of product. Minimum Order, maybe 10 units. Then never go into production.

They will give you the best to rope you in, sometimes startingly good quality, then start cutting corners after you sign that long term high volume contract.

Manufacturing in China requires strict oversight, the people that are successful manufacturing there for global market have people on the ground watching....continuously!

A good quick primer is a book: "Poorly Made in China" I gave it to our China Liason and I swear he told me it saved his sanity! It tells it like it is...

Edited by Tony D

I purchased 1 of them ebay universal fit 3 row aluminum radiators, fits 240/260/280z/zx. The flanges were not pre-drilled. All I had to do was cut 1.5 inches off the lowest part of the flanges to pass the frame rails, then drill the mounting bolt holes to match the core support. The radiator works so well that I had to block 1/3 of the cold side of the radiator just to keep the temps up. My only issue is that the rad cap started leaking at the assembley rivit on the top. The writing on the cap was in chinese, so no looking that bad boy up at Orileys. The parts guy just started opening up boxes and the 3rd one worked. The radiator cap mount is smaller than the standard Z, and what fit was the 2000 Honda CRV V6 cap. The cap pressure is 1.1 bar so 18lbs?? Unless you are willing to pay the $$ for custom fit parts, your going to have to make things fit by trial and error. This aint automotive 101.

AND the new radiator cap started leaking after 30 days of use, so even new parts crap out!!!!!

Edited by 280zex

Guys, excellent discussion re: the aluminum radiators. After reading this thread, I took my 3 core brass radiator to the local radiator shop that had been there for the past 18 years and had it recored for $90. A 2-year warranty left a warm feeling inside. The car never overheated here in Bakersfield, CA in 100F+, but I don't do any racing events.

Aluminum ebay radiators are like lottery - sometimes you hit a quality product, sometimes not. I wish local places like AFCO in IA can make aluminum radiators for our 280z's. I have their unit in my 67 Camaro and for 180$ this was a piece of welding art. It still has a sticker "Made in US" ('with pride').

Edited by darom