HybridZ

4.36 R200 rear differential noises

boardkid280z

I'm about to replace my worn out diff with this used one. Just checking the noises and wanted to see what people think.

First I'm turning the input shaft and it makes a clicking sound.

Second I turn one of the output shafts and there is a little bit of a grinding sound.

Third I turn the ring gear and again you can hear the clicking.

So it seems like the ring gear and pinion gear click when they hit. Is that normal?

And the spider gears sound like they grind a bit. Is this normal?

This is an R200 open 4.36 out of a Nissan truck (I'm told). It is going in my 1978 Datsun 280Z turbo.

I got the diff up in place, but it turns out the studs on the back are slightly closer together than on the S30 diff. (the new one is out of a truck) After looking at them, the rear covers are completely different too.
So I'll just have to open up the mounting holes in the moustache bar a little bit. Edited by boardkid280z

I got the diff up in place, but it turns out the studs on the back are slightly closer together than on the S30 diff. (the new one is out of a truck) After looking at them, the rear covers are completely different too.

So I'll just have to open up the mounting holes in the mustache bar a little bit.

You must have a R180 mustache bar in your car...

Edited by RB26powered74zcar

Well, that's good to know. Hah, I don't know enough about these diffs. I thought I had an R200 in the car, and I thought I was getting an R200 to put in. How do you identify the R180?

You can find out it with plug location and measurement of the size.

post-25175-078940500 1352301083_thumb.jpg