HybridZ

What does this button do?

bfg

So I've had my Z for a few months now and things are going well. Most of my electronics and lights and stuff are working properly but the only thing I can't seem to figure out is what this button does. It's a '75 280z and the button does not apear to do anything.

post-26293-040731100 1352227349_thumb.jpg

Looks aftermarket to me. If so, it could be to -anything-. Heck, there might not even be any wires attached to the rear end! Tried prying it up with a flat blade screwdriver, or pulling the console? I'm pretty sure there was just that decorative part that is under the switch housing. Check out this similar thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/107277-center-console-switchesplugs/page__p__1003703__hl__%2B280z+%2Bwhat+%2Bbutton+%2Bis+%2Bthis%3F__fromsearch__1#entry1003703

Follow Murphy's advice, carefully pry up the insert and see which wire (if any) go to the switch. You can then trace the wires and see where they go. If they hook into the stock wiring, bust out the wiring diagram. Otherwise, all we can do is make wild guesses.

Any fog/running lights installed on the car by chance?

That's where the antenna switch is on my car, 1976. Mine is a factory-installed (as far as I can tell) spring-loaded momentary switch though, not an on-off.

I have a feeling thats the answer. My power antenna was disconnected when I bought the car and was really corroded so I just threw it out. I'll check this weekend when I go up to work on the car. However, if its serves no purpose now I really like the idea of James Bonding it. Maybe even some flame throwers on the front

Is that stereo with the cassette player aftermarket or original? I have a 1976 but it did not come with the original stereo.

I'm not quite sure to be honest. All I know is that it still works and I listen to Chuck Berry and Creedence Clearwater Revival cassettes whenever I work on the car haha. It Seems to be pretty old judging by the wear and tear on the knobs and stuff but I couldn't say for certain if its original or not.