HybridZ

GravityFlyer's '77 280Z V8

DAY 9.

Stripped the rear end.

IMG_0839.JPG

Next week I gotta remove the rear bumper trim, or what the service manual apparently calls the "sight shield". It looks like I'll need to bend it upward to expose the spot welds, then use a step bit to drill them out. Already started removing various brackets (i.e. oil filter and canister) from the engine bay using a similar process. Will then plug weld the holes then spray with Dupli-Color Rust Fix until it goes to paint.

In other news, changed direction with the engine. Originally planned to build my first engine but almost had a bad experience sourcing a block -- only after delivering to my machine shop did I learn it needed a line bore and crank grind (seized bearing). Luckily I got all my money back!   :bonk:  Meanwhile, friends have been advising that I get a crate engine for my first restoration project. Since I'm on a limited budget (grad student) it would suck to have my first engine build "blow up". So I decided to play it safe and bought a 355 SBC crate engine today from TriStar, complete with a 2 year warranty. 

Moreover, looks like I'm also changing my game plan with respect to the exhaust. I had originally envisioned running dual 2-1/2" pipes but realized that I could save money and weight by running a single 3". I'd now like to mimic this guy's Z (not sure how I came across this pic)...

carticular%2520collage.jpg

I really like the idea of going bumper-less and no spoiler. The Z's really do have a sexy curve, eh?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAY 10.

Finished working on the rear end by drilling out the spot welds and finally removed the bumper trim.

IMG_0847.JPG

Had to take the obligatory engine bay shot!

IMG_0846.JPG

Good bye computer! Hello carburetor!

IMG_0841.JPG

Got a little too aggressive when removing door trim.  :banghead:  Gonna have to learn how to do some body work and level it out.

IMG_0848.JPG

DAY 11.

My first day of MIG welding! Trying to plug all the holes I drilled when removing various brackets.

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

The end result was a little sloppy (definitely no 'roll of nickels'), but I nevertheless had fun learning!

IMG_0859.JPG

Now grinding my mess.

IMG_0864.JPG

In other news, I grabbed some "new" fenders from 1 Tuff Z.

IMG_0865.JPG

Rat rod anyone?! I assure you it's purely coincidence that it's starting to look like Yuta Akaishi's 240Z!

Edited by gravityflyer

Looking good Jeff-did you have Ross inspect your welds?! Love the rat rod look too...

Yep, he spent most of the day helping me and teaching different techniques. Still trying to get the hang of it. Next time he wants to teach me how to go over them with the TIG. After sanding the welds some areas ended up being slightly uneven so Ross and Jimmy suggested I just bondo to even them out.

I'll be removing my rear bumper soon too, your plans for the front?

Got a 240 bumper to toss on the front. It's in decent shape, although it could use some work and a re-chrome. I'll probably clean it up someday when I have the funds. 

Also throwing on a used air dam. I'm in the process of thinking of ways to customize the front grill once the air dam is installed.

DAY 12.

Not much to report. Continued to put the finishing touches on the engine bay in advance of my new engine's arrival sometime within the next two weeks. Made my first attempt at body work by bondoing the uneven surfaces left over from my previous hack-job at grinding. 

IMG_0866.JPG

That bondo sure is pungent! Damn stuff was burning my throat and nose -- the warning label isn't kidding when it says to wear a mask!

Unfortunately I couldn't finish since we were getting hit with a snow storm and had to leave the garage early. Will have to get to it next week.

looking good! I saw your car a couple weeks ago visiting David. Definitely not a bad place to start. I'm excited for your progress. I'll be watching :)

Thanks Andy!

David did mention that you stopped by a few weeks ago. Although a bit of a drive from SYR, it's definitely a wonderful environment to learn about car restoration. I consider myself very lucky and fortunate to have such a great resource. 

This summer we'll have to meet up. Looking forward to it! 

Is this the sbc you got?

http://www.tristarengines.com/catalog/355-dressed-lb-w-hp-aluminum-heads-dressed-longblock.html

I am thinking about getting the 260hp goodwrench but this engine seems good, 2400$ isn't a bad price for 365hp!

I actually went with the dyno'd package, only because they extended a holiday discount for me. I had briefly considered an OE replacement but figured if I'm doing a V8 swap I might as well do it right the first time. As a grad student I also made the financial decision that the engine was going to be the one component of my build on which I would not cut any corners. BTW, if you're interested in other alternatives I can send you a spread sheet I created that lists other manufacturers I had considered, including their build specs and prices.

In terms of my shopping experience, so far the customer service has been fantastic! They have accommodated a number of special requests I've made regarding build specs and continuously keep me updated on the build with progress reports. I've been working through Ben Steine (ben@tristarengine.com; 715-684-4455) who has been very helpful in the process. Of course, the true test is seeing the final product and will share my thoughts on TriStar then.

DAY 13. 

My first experience with body work was a (relative) success! As RebekahsZ predicted, it definitely took some time. Eventually I started to get the hang of it and developed my own technique. I'm definitely pleased with the result. 

IMG_0877.JPG

I also scrubbed the engine bay with an SOS pad and engine degreaser -- the stuff worked wonders! Over 30 years of gunk removed. Next time I'm going to wash then rattle-can paint the bay.

Edited by gravityflyer

DAY 14.

Continued to work on the engine bay which entailed my first experience with sandblasting. 

Before:

IMG_0886.JPG

(I actually forgot to take a picture before I started, and you can tell that this pic is technically about 'halfway' done.)

After:

IMG_0889.JPG

Goofing off and having fun!

IMG_0888.JPG

Meanwhile, the new engine finally arrived! 

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

Looks great -- can't wait to start it up!

Edited by gravityflyer