HybridZ

GravityFlyer's '77 280Z V8

Project is coming along nicely, what color you going with for the engine bay?

I think it's technically called 'metallic silver'. Hopefully it will turn out okay...

Ross finished replicating the frame rails. Unfortunately, they won't fit on the car as the floor pans are uneven and will require custom made rails which we're gonna install Tuesday. So if you know anyone who wants some frame rails, I've got some brand new ones available! 

BTW, check out his recent artwork made out of old silverware:

IMG_0883.JPG

I can't decided which one I like best: the lobster or the praying mantis eating the butterfly. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

DAY 16.

Finally finished with the engine bay! So far it has been the least enjoyable part of this entire project, probably because it took several days to complete. Rattle-can paint job turned out great! 

IMG_1035.JPG

Engine%2520Bay.jpg

I decided not to go with the JRT hood latch and instead moved my original latch horizontally across the firewall and welded it in place. I was inspired by this thread and simply did not want to fabricate an entirely new latch. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Edited by gravityflyer

I think it's technically called 'metallic silver'. Hopefully it will turn out okay...

Ross finished replicating the frame rails. Unfortunately, they won't fit on the car as the floor pans are uneven and will require custom made rails which we're gonna install Tuesday. So if you know anyone who wants some frame rails, I've got some brand new ones available! 

BTW, check out his recent artwork made out of old silverware:

IMG_0883.JPG

I can't decided which one I like best: the lobster or the praying mantis eating the butterfly. 

Very nice art work !

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff, no updates?!

After receiving my latest tranche of student loans I reviewed my budget. My restoration expenses have been fairly consistent with expectations but I omitted a key factor -- cost of gas to get to Rochester. Oops! Instead of 4x a month I'll now head out there 2 or 3 times a month. I also have to take qualifying exams this summer (a required hurdle before moving on to the dissertation) which has kept me extremely busy (and stressed!) here in SYR. In addition to teaching responsibilities, I'm reading about a book a day.   :-(

Nevertheless, I'll definitely have it running by the end of Spring!

DAY 18.

Applied 2 coats of POR-15 over new rails and added front-to-rear brake line.

i_2013021921461005.jpg

Took me nearly 45min to complete the brake line. Two lessons learned: (1) keep the line straight as possible so that fitting can be added with ease and (2) leave extra length before cutting line! I really had to muscle the damn thing in place. I guess I'll find out whether I did it correctly once I add fluid?!

i_2013021921461002.jpg

Edited by gravityflyer

• 2 years later...

The build looks really great.  Glad to see you have a great shop to work in.  Looks like it's heated too which is a big bonus for that part of NY.  What degree are you going for?  I have an MBA from Syracuse.  57 semester hours but no thesis requirement.

That Z you want to emulate is beautiful.  I'm thinking of going that direction myself when it's time to repaint mine.  You did notice that it has an LS motor in it vs and SBC? :-) That 355 you have will be a beast though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Phantom, just saw your post... I'm working on my PhD in political science. I've finished with all my course work and comprehensive exams and just starting to write my dissertation. I hope to finish in another year or so!... The garage is fantastic and really lucky to be surrounded by very knowledgeable folks including "1 Tuff Z" who has been incredibly helpful and I've learned a great deal from him!... Actually, I just realized I haven't updated this build thread in a while and suppose I'll do that now!  :)

So I took a little hiatus from the project and had to focus on school work. As a grad student, I'm also on a very limited budget and unfortunately had to sell the SBC. Never had a chance to even install it.  :(

Anyway, I'm finally back to work on the Z and decided to reinstall the original L28. It engine hasn't been started since 2003 when it was last put in storage so I had a mechanic buddy come to the garage and turn it over by hand. According to him the engine looks great and has a lot of potential, so we went ahead and installed it!

Engine Install, 4

Engine Install, 6

Engine Install, 1

After speaking with some folks I decided to drop the fuel injection and switch to the Arizona Z Car intake with carb. Purchased the entire intake/carb setup from another Hybridz member.

Carb intake, 1

Carb intake, 3

Carb intake, 2

Also added new starter, alternator, and radiator. 

Starter & Alternator

Radiator

Not technically mounted yet, but I put the air dam in place. I think it'll look so cool!

Air Dam

Whew! Reinstalling the gas tank has been a lot of work!!!

First off, I had the original fuel sending unit repaired by the good folks at Tristar Radiator (http://tristarrradiator.com). They do a lot of work on Datsun sending units and I highly advise that you check them out.

Fuel Sending Unit 2

Gas Tank, 3

However, I can't remember how to install the unit.  :unsure: If anyone can comment that would be greatly appreciated! 

Fuel Sending Unit

Unfortunately I bought the wrong fuel tank straps -- purchased straps for a '75-76 280z which apparently differs from the later models. I just posted a separate question in the fuel delivery forum if anyone knows of a universal strap kit that would work or perhaps knows the correct size of the '77 straps I could probably find a similar replacement. 

Two presumably 'controversial' points to make about the install...
- (1) I needed to replace the large breather hose that leads from the gas tank to reservoir tank. It appears to be a 5/8" hose but the only rubber hose that the auto shops had available was a heater hose. Since only vapors will be running through the hose (as opposed to actual fuel) I figured the hose's material shouldn't make much of a difference?
- (2) I understand it's hotly debated issue on many forums but I went ahead and deleted the charcoal canister. Thus, while I retained the breather hoses for the reservoir tank (see photo above) I plugged the line that leads from the reservoir tank to what would be the charcoal canister. By retaining the breather hoses I figured the actual gas tank could still vent if under pressure?

• 1 month later...