HybridZ

no tach signal no ignition pulse

zercs280zx

I swapped an '81 N/A L28 into a 240Z including the '81 1N/A dizzy. I've searched extensively but found most info on the turbo dizzy with the CAS.... I'm running N/A. with a custom intake, fuel only. I'm trying to wire the ign out to the Megasquirt ECU MS1 v 3.0 MSNS. I did the wiring mods to the Megasquirt ECU and have it set to 50% dwell to the Crane box ign out on Spark A out. I am also using an MSD tach adapter to run the stock tach. I tried to use the green wire from the dizzy to the Megasquirt ECU ign out bypassing the stock ign E12-80 ECU that bolts up to the dizzy. I also tried it with the stock E12-80 ECU and got an rpm signal, but now I am having trouble getting any signal at all. I was under the assumption that the MS 1 v 3.0 could pick up an ign signal staright from the stock N/A dizzy green wire, is this true? Or do I need the stock E12-80 ECU to provide the signal? Does the dizzy provide a VR signal that the Megasquirt ECU can recognize? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by zercs280zx

The Tach Output of the Crane ECU is going to the MSD tach adapter. The Crane ECU is beig triggered by Spark Output A at 50% dwell from the MS ECU. The ignition into the MS ECU is coming from the E12-80 igntion module off the '81 NA dizzy. I amost had the car started this way but the E12-80 module failed. Can I jut use the green wire off the dizzy to send an igntion signal? Also, I did not have an RPM signal on crank and run, but I had spark, and injector pulse and the engine was starting to run.

• 4 weeks later...

I made the jumpers now I need to know how to wire the dizzy ('81 280zx NA).  I had the green wire going to igintion in to the MS ecu and the red to 12v switched.  Now I've read that both wires are used as the VR sensor (ignition in).  I've searched but to no avail.  Can anyone verify were the green and red wires go?  Most documenttion is for the turbo dizzy, there is very little info on NA dizzys.  Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Matt,

I am just getting back to my project.  I didn't make the jumper from TACHSELECT to VRIN because TACHSELECT is already jumped to OPTOIN by the factory - you guys at DIY Autotune.  I assume the picture from MS1Extra.com was taken on an unassembled board.  Should I disconnect OPTOIN and jump TACHSELECT directly to VRIN?  I'm running an '81 na dizzy and a MS1 v 3.0 board.  Also, I'm a bit confused as how a VR dizzy works.  Cars today require a crank and cam angle sensor but I heard that this VR dizzy is magnetic and internal.  Does it read rpm from the oil pump shaft?  Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions there is not much on the na dizzys and MS since most folks go turbo with the CAS sensor.

One more question...  I do not need the E12-80 ignition module to send the signal to the MS ecu, it can come directly from the dizzy, correct?  I am running MSNS fuel only with a Crane Ignition box to control spark (already jumped and set to 50% fixed duty cycle).

Edited by zercs280zx

If this was my project I would add the crane box later after I knew that MS was set up and running. Just my opinion though. The difference between the vr distributor and optical distributor is the vr distributor sends a sine wave signal output which is a small alternating current. This signal has to be conditioned differently, before input into the ecu, than a optical distributor's signal which is a square wave output. It's a simple on/off signal. If you google search sine wave versus square wave it may help you understand more.

I know they are different signals, optical versus VR.  I really need to know how to wire the ms1 v 3.0 board to accept the VR signal and how the  NA dizzy works without a CAS.  I still need answers to this reply below.  Matt from DIY if you could comment I'd appreciate it.

Matt,

I am just getting back to my project.  I didn't make the jumper from TACHSELECT to VRIN because TACHSELECT is already jumped to OPTOIN by the factory - you guys at DIY Autotune.  I assume the picture from MS1Extra.com was taken on an unassembled board.  Should I disconnect OPTOIN and jump TACHSELECT directly to VRIN?  I'm running an '81 na dizzy and a MS1 v 3.0 board.  Also, I'm a bit confused as how a VR dizzy works.  Cars today require a crank and cam angle sensor but I heard that this VR dizzy is magnetic and internal.  Does it read rpm from the oil pump shaft?  Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions there is not much on the na dizzys and MS since most folks go turbo with the CAS sensor.

One more question...  I do not need the E12-80 ignition module to send the signal to the MS ecu, it can come directly from the dizzy, correct?  I am running MSNS fuel only with a Crane Ignition box to control spark (already jumped and set to 50% fixed duty cycle).

Cars today use a crank and cam sensors for a few reasons. They tell the ecm that the cam is timed with the crank which is necessary with variable valve timing. Also if one sensor goes bad it uses the other as a back up.

So can I confirm that the 81 NA dizzy is a VR sensing and the sensor is internal (there are no external sensors like a CAS dizzy)?  Now I'm left with a green and red wire from the dizzzy.  I need to confirm where these go.  I had the green wire going to IGNITION IN and was getting an RPM signal.  It looks like the red wire was used for BATTERY when it was hooked up to the E12-80 Ignition module.  What should I wire the red lead to?  I read that the VR dizzy is magnetic and does not require a power source so I'm a bit confused.  I want to make sure I have everything answered so I can wire it correctly and get the car runing.  

Remove the red and green wires from the module and connect them to the shielded pair of wires of the megasquirt harness. The vr sensor produces an alternating current of electricity like a generator. Power is not supplied to the vr sensor.

Thanks for the quick reply... there is only one shielded wire to the MS ecu (IGNITION IN).  I'm pretty sure this is where the green wire goes.  How about the red?  Is there a specific wire that this connects to?