HybridZ

VW 1.9TDI Swap

shawn83zxt

Most guys shift before 3,000 rpm's, and when they really "wind it out" they consider 5,400 in 3rd doing 140kph as really twisting the nipples of the car.

Driving like my mother... She screams if I take a corner in the Serena doing 70Km/hr at 5500 rpm when it's posted for 50Km/hr and the redline is all they way up at 7500rpm...

BTW corner speed advisories in NZ are set on a lowest possible deonominator safety basis, like an old blind granny in a Jeep with a full roof rack! In a sports car you can take a 65km/hr advisory corner at the open road speedof 100Km/hr and I know people with V8 Falcons and Commodores putting on the cruise controll at 100km/hr and never touching the brakes all the way to the beach through 50km/hr corner advisory signs. The only time they bake is for slower cars they can't pass immediately.

• Like 1

I'm not mistaken. You can use that wiring if you want to put a mechanical diesel pump on your 1.9tdi engine, converting into into an old-school, less efficient engine, albeit with more displacement.

At that point you may as well just do a 1.6td engine.

You said 1.9 T-D-I, and if you want modern tdi and modern fuel efficiency, you will have to swap over ALL the electronics that go with the engine. Do your research on what it takes to put a modern tdi into a vw. Many people do whole firewall swaps to accomodate the electric pedal cluster.

Ok,

So I looked into it and you're right. If I want all the electronics to be modern I'd have a lot of work cut out.

On the other hand, I looked up more info on M-TDI injector pumps (hybrid pumps). They can be purchased here for a little over $530 (less if you have a core), or for the DIY folk there is a walk-through here.

I'm going to stick with the mTDI pump because I'm lazy. I'm also going to purchase it because I have a budget that will allow me to do that.

My cost estimates are as follows (various sources, not linked)

AHU/1Z 1.9 TDI engine - 1500-2000

mTDI pump - 530

trans adapter - 600

misc parts - 500

My budget is $4,000

I believe I can recover about $1,500 or more from parts currently in the Z

lates

I had a 78 VW Microbus lined up for this transplant and alas I never to to it in time -- the Microbus went away, sadly! The TDI is such a nice engine, and cheap...

Though, being truthful, were I shipping a container from Europe...the BMW M3 Diesel mill (or even standard 2.0 diesel) would be in there!

You might look into the Mercedes straight 5 cylinder engine. A lot of people are doing them in jeep swaps. I personally know of a guy that did the swap in his 94 Jeep Wrangler and is getting 30 mpg.

Edited by RJ280ZX

• 3 weeks later...

are the 2.0 liter beemer diesel engines available the states? as that would be a better candidate for the swap.

given it is a rwd set up with a 6 speed gearbox. they have a much more linear power output then the 'spikey' vw diesels.

Also the 3.0 liter 6 banger gets really decent milage even in my 2005 range rover.... so if you want to stay 6 banger .. the 5 series diesels from teh e39 series make a very decent candidate

I would look into the; 

-M57D30 193 PS (142 kW; 190 hp)@4000, 410 N·m (300 lb·ft)@1750-3000 ( 6 banger) can be bought here for €1000.

-N47D20 150 kW (204 bhp) @ 4400 rpm 400 Nm (295 lb ft) @ 2000 rpm can be bought here for €1500.

The N47 had indeed 245 HP, 420 nm torque after a reflash.

The M57 now makes  260HP  but it is on a 4x4.

What TDI engine are you planning using ? As they have been around for a while now ...

Note Theez are natuarlly as Domzs states 'are junks'.

That is why they keep on going 300k miles +

Edited by frank280zx

I talked to a ref about 2 months ago and he said that by the looks of things pretty soon all 2 strokes will be under the knife and we'll most likely see their use wane substantially here in CA. Because according to him:

Yerp, no Oilburners here in CA ever...

:(

Fixed...

The Oilburners are NOT two strokes!

Those are like Detroit 51/71/92 Series Diesels...

Oh don't get all defensive tony. I was using the term oilburners to bring up the topic of ANYTHING that burns oil, which our fine state seems to want to eviscerate entirely. They're already attacking older 18 wheeler's, so expect them to go after older passenger diesels next. 

The population doesn't justify it. Port diesel emissions are mainly from Two-Stroke diesels. The conversion to CNG/LNG considerably cleans up the atmosphere.

I've seen that dramatically, having been in Downtown Bangkok in the 80's, and returning more recently. Their push to CNG has been VERY effective in cleaning the air from heavy vehicle pollutants.

The truckers brought that on themselves with rampant over fuelling, and no particulate traps.

Don't police yourself, someone else will, eventually.

My main objection was to the use of "two stroke" which no passenger diesel has used for a long time. It's a heavy truck and stationary powerplant. (Many ships) and many people incorrectly refer to ALL diesels as "two strokes"... They're not.

Btw, two-stroke automobiles under 1,000cc's are smog exempt. New option for newer Z owners looking to dodge those pesky smog inspections every two years!

As someone said above Mercedes TD engine :) in a Z!

Get yourself an om603.961, the 3liter, or like i have in my G om603.971, 3.5liter(rodbender, apperantly, min hasn't). Modify the pump with larger elements and get yourself a bigger turbo. Job done. On second thought you wanted MPG, leave it original.... modifying leads to more power end less MPG :P

You can use almost any mercedes manual gearbox from the 80/early ninties. The engine and the head is aluminium and the dimentions of the engine are very similar to the L engine. tonnes and tonnes of tourqe.

Someone mentioned something about reliability of european cars/engines...... Italians and the Brits are responsible for the bad reputation of European cars. The Germans are incapabel of doing something halfassed, it makes no sense, at all, to claim that American engines and cars in general are of better quality than anything out of Germany. I am sorry, i could not let that pass ;)

Funny to see someone want to make a diesel Z. apart from it being the fuel of the devil that is cool :) i will NEVER do it myself, but this being hybridz and all, good luck :D

Merry Christmas

I wouldn't listen to the nay sayers. As a owner of a 98' tdi for many years, if you can make it work more power to ya!  Roughly every 150k miles you will need to rebuild your injector pump and there is also the usual timing belt replacement you don't want to miss. Beyond that my experience with a 350k mile tdi motor has been great. ( mid 40s mpg city when driving cautiously but never less than 40 / and a best of 54.7 mpg @ 60 mph on a trip of 800+ miles( that was both directions not down hill ! ).  Good luck and keep us posted.