HybridZ

VW 1.9TDI Swap

shawn83zxt

Ok guys, you keep talking about these mercedes turbo diesels so I decided to take a look.  I have a lead on an om603 posted about a month ago on craigslist. They want 1000 for it, and I guess its running. 

I'm going to consolidate all the TDI info I found and put it into the first post.

If anyone has a particular knowledge of the difficulty of the electronics for these engines (OM603) please speak up! I'm look at you gents who suggested it  :icon6:

It seems the OM603 can in fact be mounted to the same toyo transmission that I was sourcing for the TDI swap

Edited by shawn83zxt

My opinion-a VW TDI 1.9 would  make a good daily driver motor for a early 70-74 Z.If I was to do this I would buy a complete wrecked VW and get a very good wire harness book for the VW wreck.I have done engine/harness swaps and ended up spending more time removing the wire harness from the donor car and labeling wire with masking tape than the time I spent installing the donor motor into the new car.Hanging an electronic gas pedal is only about a 1/2 hour job.The hardest part of the job is taking the time to learn the donor cars electronics/wire harness.I would build a crossmember just to support the engine and cut the oem z mounts off.I would switch the z heater system out to an aftermarket system like vintage air and use the a/c compressor on the VW  engine.

• 2 months later...

I read recently in Grassroots Motorsports about people tuning the little VW1.8T gas motors to 250hp easy by just increasing the boost, running a bigger pipe and changing out the ECU.. supposedly they can handle up to 500hp with the right work. I've even played around with the idea of taking the 4.0 I-6 outta my old Jeep and cramming it in mine.

Then again, how many people can say they have a diesel Z?

If anyone has a particular knowledge of the difficulty of the electronics for these engines (OM603) please speak up! I'm look at you gents who suggested it  :icon6:

It seems the OM603 can in fact be mounted to the same toyo transmission that I was sourcing for the TDI swap

Electronics? There is not alot of it on a mechanical fuel pump.

You have the glow plugs/pre heating, the alternator(usually 90A) needs 3 wires and optionally a fourth for rpm, the temp sensor, oil pres. sensor

There is a tempsensor on the fuelpump, but i am not certain you need it if you go with a universal glow relay.

Pretty sure that is it, the rest is vacume controled, the rest being stopping, pump controll and gearbox controll.

thats of the top of my head without going outside to look ;)

If you go with a OM606, you get electronics on the pump, but the 603 pump is interchangable with the 606 pump so the problem goes away again.

The 606 is exactly the same as 603 with regards to boltpattern on the transmission end and engine mount. it has a more modern head with two cams (om603 has one) and it has 24 valves(603 -> 12) a stock 3 liter 606 delivers 177hp, a 603 3liter is 136hp, 603 3.5L is 156hp.

Needless to say, the 606 is a generation newer, and offers better fuel economy with more tourqe and power.

If you like to read: www.superturbodiesel.com knock yourself out ;) and just for fun, youtube: Blacksmoke racing he is running a 606, or at least it started life as a 606. Also Göran, known as Dieselmeken on that site, can do whatever you want to a 603 pump. He has his own site www.dieselmeken.se

Honestly, if the goal is a wicked good fuel economy, it is going to be hard to beat a Vag 1,9tdi without going to battery power ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry , think you are crazy if you are thinking of doing such swap . I wouldn't consider do any european motors in any cars . Think they all junks . Have been working on cars , in an auto shop , for over 20 yrs .

I can not agree with you anymore, OP just try to find a pathfinder 2.5 Turbo Diesel motor - they are out there - not cheap but go that route if you want but its super heavy. the YD27 motor is better but not going to find one state side if your located in the usa land ! 

German cars are known for safety and performance - now before you jump on me - performance from European cars is New off the show room floor (OEM) no mods - simply is just how deep can your pockets go is how fast you want to go. Hence the word  

Fukenbroken.jpg