HybridZ

aluminum alloy round plate 6060 T6 drops

zgeezer

I'm upgrading my rear cv axles by adding the short axle off a Pathfinder. This requires a .5' thick spacer between the cv joint and the stub axle.

What is the preferred material to use: mild steel or aluminum? If it's aluminum, how 'bout some help regarding the choice of alloy. I've searched the web for aluminum "drops". There are several different alloys... some quite pricey. 6061, 6063, 7075, and 2024 seem to be the most common. Additionally, some are tempered as T6, which I understand increases the strength of the alloy.

My real question is which of these alloys is preferred for wheel spacers?

Finally, is there any reason not to buy a 6 inch round drop and machine it to .5 thick rather than a .5" plate drop and turn it to fit.

G

You may need a much longer spacer to get the axle geometry to fit.

I ended up using a 1.340" thick spacer. It all depends on which pathfinder axle you get, and what companion flange you are using.

Put your axles together, then measure what you need to get the axel travel correct.

Edited by Xnke

You may need a much longer spacer to get the axle geometry to fit.

I ended up using a 1.340" thick spacer. It all depends on which pathfinder axle you get, and what companion flange you are using.

Put your axles together, then measure what you need to get the axel travel correct.

I understand. The companion flange is MM's first set: 280z with adaptor welded on. They are a bit longer than MM billet flanges.

Which pathfinder did you use? I have a choice of several V6's: all early and middle 90's.

Did you use AL? What alloy?

G

g

I used aluminum, 6061-T6. It's in compression, and it's just a spacer. I don't have tapped holes in it. My companion flanges are welded and are 1/16" thicker than the stock companion flange, because I fabbed them up in my shop, so your numbers WILL be different. I used a driver's side axle shaft from a 1993 pathfinder.

Edited by Xnke

I used aluminum, 6061-T6. It's in compression, and it's just a spacer. I don't have tapped holes in it. My companion flanges are welded and are 1/16" thicker than the stock companion flange, because I fabbed them up in my shop, so your numbers WILL be different. I used a driver's side axle shaft from a 1993 pathfinder.

Thanks

g