HybridZ

5L V10 (S85) Conversion

EF Ian

Great news, I'll be so jealous when/if you get this done. Its definitly a must do for when I'm older and have more funds, although as I'll hopefully have a nice RB26 260Z shortly it will probably be in a E30 M3.

In case anyone is curious I was finally able to get someone to measure a motor for me and here are the engine overall dimensions.

35" Wide (widest point of cylinder heads)

29" Tall (Bottom of Oil Pan to top of Plenums)

32" Deep (Crank pulley to back of block)

I'm calling BS on the dimensions the guy gave me.  The 240z and e30 engine bay are nearly the same width (its proven the motor fits in an e30), and they are only about 31" wide.  So I doubt that motor is 35" wide.

Back to square one.  Looks like im just going to have to buy a motor and go for it.

Motor was on a pallet...and in all fairness I did ask him for rough measurements.  I guess his definition is different then mine.  I was hoping for something +/- 0.25".

Oh well, such is life.  Going on the fact that it fits in an e30, im going to say it will fit in a 240z.  The only concern being height.  If we run out of plenum clearance I guess we will just have to run open stacks through the hood :).

• 2 months later...

This sounds like a very interesting project if you get it done.  The S85 is a very cool motor, though there a much cheaper ways to make power if that is what you are after.  I have an E60 M5 in the shop now that went through water & is getting an engine for putting the #3 rod through the block.  The engine from BMW is $22000, none were able to be located in salvage yards.  There will also be some electronic issues you will run into, like the scavange oil pumps require a latteral accelleration sensor signal to activate.

• 4 weeks later...

Appreciate the comments.

This project is moving slower than I planned since I am finishing up my GTO before I take the plunge financially.  But the GTO is up on the rotisserie finally and Ive made great headway into finishing up the last of the body work on it.

I recently had a friend that works for a dealership take new measurements for me on the engine.  His rough measurement was that the engine was 31" wide and 28" long.  Which is basically the width of the engine bay.  I may need to look into a mockup motor or something before I take the plunge.

Caperix, interested in selling/donating your blown motor for science?

• 2 weeks later...

The core was $500 so if you are near Savannah GA you are more then welcome to purchase it for that price.  I am holding on to hope that as it is a none rebuildable core it will not get sent back, but my parts manager wants to ship it out & worry about get the money when BMW gets the core.

If you guys don't send it back to BMW shoot me an email with details of how complete the engine is and a picture or two.  If you are willing to ship it, I am very interested in it.   Synystersilvia@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like I am back on the hunt for a motor to use either as a mockup or for a fresh rebuild.  This project will not die, just might take a little longer than expected.  On the bright side, my GTO should be heading off to the body shop for paint sometime in the next few weeks.  Once we finish that up I will have a lot more free time/money to invest into this project.  Looking forward to starting a build thread once I finally source a motor for it.  There are ones on ebay but im not sure I trust a motor with questionable mileage given their propensity to spin bearings when the vanos pumps suddenly die.

• 1 year later...