HybridZ

cannon linkage problem

AZGhost

So i bought a cannon intake system to go along with my weber 45's. For some reason the linkage doesnt seem to work right. I found another guy on speedhunters who is using the exact same setup, but his linkage is different than mine. Am I installing the arms wrong? I would think Im doing something wrong if I have to modify the kit. The only thing I can think of to correct this is to add some washers so it wont hit that mounting hole in the carb.

Pictures attached. The second picture has same setup as me, cannon intake, and 45mm webers, but his linkage is very different than what my cannon intake came with. First picture is the problem Im having.

Thanks

post-32711-0-16672600-1353222690_thumb.jpg

post-32711-0-33594600-1353222701_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZGhost

Those arms are wrong on your kit.

The ear is where your throttle arm idle tab would hit, and the screw in there sets the idle speed of the carb.

All your arm has is the throttle stop for WOT. (Helps if I blow it up--looks like it is a correct linkage --what I thought was the idle speed screw is hiding behind your linkage.)

check with Pegasus Racing, or Redline Weber, they should be able to get the correct arms for your DCOE's... With the offset arm to clear your obstacle.

Edited by Tony D

so we did some modifications and made it work. We added a washer on the throttle to space it out, and then we bent the arm just a bit. We then found out that there is a "buldge" on the linkage near the arm on the throttle that prevents you from going wide open on the throttle. The throttle arm ends up binding against the linkage. We ground the buldge off to make it flat like its supposed to be, and then it worked. Whats weird is that it starts off flat on the linkage, and then the buldge so now the inside is completely flat. We had to hone down the main rod as well to get it through the eyelets on the manifold. Put it all together, and it works. Kinda crazy for a bolt on kit... This was easier than having to deal with a return and looks like it will work just fine now...

The arms are not wrong on his kit. The plates that mount to the carbs are on backwards you have them facing away from the motor and they should be facing into the motor. Look at the angle of the throttle shafts Way too shallow compared to the other pictures. The part I circled is facing the wrong direction.dats.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm I dont think so but I'll look at them again later this week when Im back at the shop. If I flip them around, I wont be able to adjust the idle. I also think the geometry would be wrong by it wanting to push in the wrong direction? There is a bump stop that rests right under the idle screw. Kind of difficult to see in this picture, but if you look closely you will see it.. I also think the instructions showed this installed in this position as well, but Ill definately be inspecting it more next week when everything gets bolted on and we get to start the beast up! :)

Edited by AZGhost

A " pull up" linkage is a possibility! That seems to be all I can find these days.

The arms in the OP are definitely like all the stuff I have always seen.

Those being "pull up" may explain it. Or TTom do mean going on the opposite side of the carb? I think those washers are integral to the arm (resistance spot welded) ?

Hmm... pull up... interesting didnt think of that... im not sure it would work thinking about it now as the idle screw wouldnt work with it being setup that way. I can email the guy I purchased them from and ask him if they are supposed to push down or pull up... Im thinking it pushes down tho...

Here is a video of the linkage. You can see how close that bolt comes to hitting the carb. We had to bend out the bracket so it wouldnt be so close. We then had to grind off a buldge on the arm to allow it to go full throttle. Otherwise it was preventing the carb from opening up all the way. You can kind of see our grind on that arm at 25 seconds in. anyways, we think we have it where it will work... We also added an additional washer to the throttle as well to kind of space it out a bit. But we were more comfortable with it after we had bent it out a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTishPGtpK4

Edited by AZGhost