HybridZ

Crankshaft Depot Rods dont fit,do they fit anything?

mikemac44

Hi wondering if anyone else has had issues with these rods,i did read a post,but only found half of it.I bought these rods just under a year ago as i was accumulating parts for a rebuild.They are advertised to fit nissan L24,L26,L28,L28et.All measurements looked factory,i didnt notice the bearing width did I!thought as being advertised as such they would fit my engine.took the Ebay Ad to my engine reconditioner,and asked if he could confirm the measurements were good?he rang me the next day and said all was good,so i ordered them,The air was blue as i went to install my bearing shells and found they were too wide! My rods are rod big bore 53mm,small bore 21mm,rod length 130.5mm,Width of shell is 26.8mm.The rods from CrankShaft depot are 20.76mm.I have emailed them to express my concern that they dont fit,and i received the..... Been selling these for 20 years and never had anyone complain before and my crank must have been modified... AH HA! Two other Rod sites ive been on give the same measurements as i have for a standard l28E,N42 block.No joy there then.My engine reconditioner has taken some blame for not measuring them fully,and we have come to a positive conclusion on that sideI have since bought some Spool Rods from Australia,that measure as my rods do. All though i missed the bearing width listed in the ad,im still surprised they can be advertised to fit these engine types,when as far as i can see,they dont,or am i wrong and am i missing something here? Which leads me to a question,what do these rods fit?so i can onsell? Very interested in any feed back,good or bad,Cheers

I have seen cross-pollination of rods before where people weld "c" spacers to the sides of the rod to make one fit another, and Blanchard grind the sides for proper clearance...

I would say if they were advertised to "fit", that is what they should do! 3mm a side is far too much to be something that is "drop in" unless people don't care about their side clearance, oil throw-off, etc...

It sounds like a Honda Width. People do use Honda Rods when offset grinding the crank... But you can grind whatever journal you want then!