HybridZ

Water leaking from bell-housing to block help

Dillon

Started up my 240z with l28 "f54" for the first time in over a few months after being down for carb rebuild, and after a few minuets of running I noticed a nice leak from the bell housing on the trans and the block, it's dripping right out of the bottom. Not coming from freeze out plug on back of head. It is coming from something on the back of block, and i don't know if there is a freeze out plug on the back of the block or not. And I have searched for a few hours now and can't find all freeze out plug locations or if it's even that. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.:)

Did you check the parting surface between the head and block? Look for coolant residue or surface rust.

I had an N42/N42 engine that leaked at the spot right above the starter, between the head and block. I don't know if the head was warped or the head gasket just gave out after many miles. It only leaked during warmup and cool down, when the engine was at full operating temperature it sealed itself up.

Well I'm thinking about just unbolting the trans Tieing it up and pulling the engine straight up and taking it out.

"way to make it sound super easy haha"

I have no problem pulling the engine because I have some frame I need to fix and some bugs on the engine it self also.

But I don't know if I can replace that freeze out plug as a "do it yourself'er" because its huge!

Is it just a normal freeze out plug but big?

Well I'm thinking about just unbolting the trans Tieing it up and pulling the engine straight up and taking it out.

"way to make it sound super easy haha"

I have no problem pulling the engine because I have some frame I need to fix and some bugs on the engine it self also.

But I don't know if I can replace that freeze out plug as a "do it yourself'er" because its huge!

Is it just a normal freeze out plug but big?

It is just a freeze plug, nothing special. You can easily replace it yourself.

Alright cool! Thanks guys, just going to pull the engine and change a bunch of gaskets while I'm at it, freshen everything up wouldnt hurt. :)

Oh and it's called a core plug? Well that doesn't really matter im going to change them all to be safe because a few other ones are nasty.

Just got the engine out and sure enough it was that rear freeze plug. Was a little pin hole in it sadly.

I want to go with brass freeze plugs so I looked around for who sells them and I can't seem to find a kit with all the ones for the block besides a place called "dinosaurparts.com" and I believe it doesn't come with everyone I need or even the rear one. I was wondering if anyone knows a good source for all the freeze plugs or any good info. Thanks:)

Core

Datsun Parts LLC sold them, but frankly any auto parts store should have a 'list' of the plugs required per block. When PJO needed some in Sweden, I just went to the local NAPA and had them give me the core plugs for the Datsun L28, 1983 (he had an F54).

They had a lookup list, they aren't anything special, you just need to know the sizes and one for a toyota or chevy fits just fine.

Like Chevy Thermostats---54 mm same as the Datsun. Fits fine.

Make your own kit 'o core plugs! SOMETIMES when you order all the plugs for a block, there is a price break, and that is what they classify as 'kit pricing'...

And if you go to NAPA, make sure if you're an AAA member, tell them, at a minimum it's a 10% discount. Ive gotten as much as 50% off some items shocking me and the counterman!

Edited by Tony D