HybridZ

Need some fitment help ( very aggressive set up)

I'll get right to the point. Im wanting an aggressive wheel set up for my 72 240z. I want good fitment with either zg or bamf zg flares. For the wheels i found, my options are 15x10 in either a 3" or 1" backspacing and 15x12 in either a 3" or 1" backspacing. I understand these are extreme offsets, I wouldn't ming a staggered set up, just as long as a can get aggresive, flush fitment. I plan on doing a coilover set up. I just thought id hop on the wheels first while they are on sale. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Which combo of offsets should i get is what im wondering. I assume 15x12 1" backspaceing would be too much, even with bamf flares. I mean thats an 11" lip lol. But i really dont know.

Really don't know- is probably an understatement. Instead of wasting money on wheels that don't fit why not buy jackstands, flares, and a tapemeasure. That is usually a good place to start. Most of the popular coil over conversions offer a pretty good idea of offset required to compensate... so that base is covered. As for the wheels your looking into and the fact that you use the word aggressive three times in a thread inquireing about wheel fitment I won't waste too much time describing tire selection. But just incase I've read you wrong... take it from the guy with 15x14s out back, you won't be able to buy street tires that suite them for less than $1500 a pair.

You need to ensure that you are comparing apples to apples. Make sure you understand the difference between offset and backspacing. I have coilovers and the most back spacing I can mount without rubbing the strut is 4.75". Offset can get very confusing, so it is best to talk in terms of back spacing whenever possible (because all you need to measure it is the rim, a straight edge and a tape measure). You kind of have to know arithmetic to figure out offset and I can't ever get it straight in my head. If you have coilovers you can take the 4.75" back spacing limit to the bank. That gives you some sort of a measurement to start from. The max I can fit inside the fender with a 4.75" back spacing is an 8 inch rim. That jives with what Kings Evil said above. So, your 12" rim will hang out approximately 4" if you start with a 4.75" back spacing. 10" rim will hang out approximately 2 inches. Problem comes when the wheel seller won't get up and go out to the warehouse with a straigh edge and tape measure before he ships. Hope that helps a little.

I work 28 days on an offshore vessel, so going to the garage and getting my hands dirty is impossible right now or i would have just done that instead of making this thread. I did a little searching and found this 240z too low... He is running 15x10 with a 4.5" backspacing on all four corners with a 225/50/15 tire. He seems to fill in the zg flares pretty well, but it looks like there is some wiggle room still. So i was thinking about going with the 15x10 3" backspacing for all four.

No custom wheel maker I know will build a 15 x 10" or 12" wheel with 1" backspace. Most won't build one with less then 33% of the total wheel width as backspace due to strength and safety concerns. You better call whichever wheel manufacturer you're thinking about and talk with them a bit.

Id say definitely make some measurements for yourself and go look at custom wheel websites for the info on backspacing and offset. They usually have diagrams that show exactly what the difference is.

Ill have to post my wheels later. I have like 16x9's with some crazy backspacing im going to run on mine.

I've never thought the tool bin was a very nice place to put people. But threads like this one certainly qualify. Aggressive? Aggressive for what?! A certain look.

Exactly, a certain look.

I understand the difference between offset and backspacing. Come on guys, Ive been a member of this site for years and have always found it to be very informative. Dont try to bash me thinking im a noob, this is my third s30 and 5th Z in general. I was used the word aggressive so much to get the point across that i wanted the best fitment i could get with a wide stance ( filling in flush bamf flares) and didnt want to come off as a hella flush jdm tyte yo kid. Im going with the 15x10 3" backspacing all around to achieve a fitment similar to the link i posted in my last post. ill update with pics when it's done. Prob gonna be a few months. Coil overs are first on the list.

No worries.  These particular wheels only on in the sizes ive listed in the first post, so im kind of just working with it.  I love the look of zg flares, so im not worried about spilling over so much.  I like the idea of wider wheel and more traction. But i wont have to worry about that too much because my z is no power house. Just a L28 with exhaust and a holley 4 barrel all done by the previous owner.  The 15x10s should work fine and give me the look im trying to achive for now. 

• 3 months later...

I dont mean to bring an older thread back to life...but if you havent solved this issue yet, check out this site. 

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Play around with this a little. Just input the stock Z wheel specs in there and the wheel/tire combo you wish and it will do the math. 

Be sure to click the wheel/tire size calculator/comparer button cuz the link doesnt take you directly there...