HybridZ

Fiberglass or Metal fenders?

In all seriousness this is a personal question. You now know (if you didn't before) the benefits of going with fg or metal, you know your skills to fix either, or at least can find shops that would quote you, and we don't know what you are planning with the car, and when it gets down to it all the advice you are getting is from people who have different backgrounds/experience with either material.

Might as well be a paper or plastic argument.

That being said, I'd go with metal since dents I can work it better and then sell the fg ones for a profit.

Amen, Blu! My thoughts exactly!

Why is someone asking others about this in the fashion it was presented...

Seriously, I thought it was a BS Troll, and responded Humorously, as opposed to flaming what I thought was an obvious troll.

I'm so hurt that he was so conflicted internally that he posted it in all seriousness. Don't I look like a fool for tormenting someone so obviously invalided in terms of decision making skills and Datsun prowess...

I'll be damned to hell for all eternity for mocking his post. Damn me! Damn me all to hell!

I would go fiberglass, if they are a quality piece and look like they would fit properly and have ALL the right bolt holes and flanges for things like airdams and headlight buckets. I had my metal fenders fixed (it was 17 years ago) and I've got bubbles popping up - I get discouraged fixing the same thing twice. If you decide to go metal, please PM with a price for your fiberglass ones. The only reason I can see to not go fiberglass is fitment issues. So, try them on. If they don't fit correctly nobody is gonna want them. If I knew of a source for carbon fiber fenders, I'd look into them - I have a carbon hood and it is super light. Light weight wins everytime for me. Now, if I knew of a source for fiberglass doors that allow the use of roll-up windows and standard window frames....

Purpose - Summer DD

Bought the car as a shell both metal & FG fenders were included with the deal.

Skill - Not a problem as I have access to everything I need to make metal or FG work regardless of the labor/materials Involved.

I understand that metal rusts and fiberglass dehydrates.

Now what it looks like I should have been more clear about in my question is, are the metal fenders worth saving? or are they so rust/defect prone that the FG is the clear choice?

I stated in my op that they are both in a mild state of disrepair not horrible but I'd rather not waste effort on repairing one or the other.

I would go fiberglass, if they are a quality piece and look like they would fit properly and have ALL the right bolt holes and flanges for things like airdams and headlight buckets. I had my metal fenders fixed (it was 17 years ago) and I've got bubbles popping up - I get discouraged fixing the same thing twice. If you decide to go metal, please PM with a price for your fiberglass ones. The only reason I can see to not go fiberglass is fitment issues. So, try them on. If they don't fit correctly nobody is gonna want them. If I knew of a source for carbon fiber fenders, I'd look into them - I have a carbon hood and it is super light. Light weight wins everytime for me. Now, if I knew of a source for fiberglass doors that allow the use of roll-up windows and standard window frames....

Thank you for your insight. The FG fenders fit great, they are good in that department mostly chips from being stored and one or two small cracks.

The original Nissan FRP doors use the windows and frames.

They are floating around Japan at the higher-end shops. Usually with the Nissan Perspex windows in them as well!!!

"Unobtanium"

Bekkas, the guy I PM'd you about also replicated the door hinges out of Aluminum. The Rally cars used a modified hinge with a QR Pin in it o pull the door off quickly during maintenance stages.

Of course, the cast iron hinges were "too heavy" so they were replicated in Aluminum...

Just how much weight are you shooting to remove? I think the PS30SB was about 960kg -- 2116lbs

Edited by Tony D