HybridZ

4L80E Question

What year 4L80E are you running, mine is an older model (1997) that has been rebuilt and a Transgo HD2 shift kit installed as well. My cooler lines are close together "top to bottom" not front and back like the newer model. I will stick check my lines as I have replaced them with brass fittings too. I too cut the ears off the bell housing and made a small dent and hole where the plug goes on the drivers side. Other than that I need to figure out the dip tube, which one did you use? I have a stock one laying around but am doubtful it will fit.

• 6 months later...

What year 4L80E are you running, mine is an older model (1997) that has been rebuilt and a Transgo HD2 shift kit installed as well. My cooler lines are close together "top to bottom" not front and back like the newer model. I will stick check my lines as I have replaced them with brass fittings too. I too cut the ears off the bell housing and made a small dent and hole where the plug goes on the drivers side. Other than that I need to figure out the dip tube, which one did you use? I have a stock one laying around but am doubtful it will fit.

Sorry about the very late response, I don't come around here very often anymore.

I don't know what year my 4L80E is, I am pretty sure I was told it was off of a 3/4 ton truck and it was sitting behind a 454 (which made it a bolt on in my car).

I am using the Lokar firewall mount dip-stick for the 4L80E.

The cooler fitting should be apparent in it's intended function when you pull it out, mine had a tube that was several inches long reaching into the transmission.

It's all good, got mine in. Used a Lokar firewall mount just like you did. The only thing I do not like about the 4L80E is the long first gear, was used to the 700R4's first gear. My converter is way too tight, 3100 stall, the builder is going to restall it to 3800. This should really wake it up out of the hole.

• 4 months later...

Well, got the oppertunity to send my converter back for a reflash as my 4L80E took a dump. The forward sprag and bearing went out in it, should have it back in a few weeks, I found the qweak spot!!!  I'm having the converter reflashed from 3100 to 36-3800. Only had to pull the passenger side header to het it out, small victories lol

That somewhat surprises me you broke the sprag, even after it was rebuilt. Mine was rebuilt only replacing soft parts with better steels/clutches, mine already had 34 element sprag (instead of the typical roller clutch), and of course a HD2 Trans-Go kit. I have a billet 9.5" converter, 3600 stall.

My Blazer weighs about double what a S30 does too. My new setup will be pushing around 700 to the wheels (Turbo 6.0) and I even warned the trans builder, but he said its good to 1,000. I guess I will find out after I get it dyno tuned this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got it apart and it ate the front planetaries, sprag, bearing and some clutches got glazed. My transmission is getting a rebuild now.  I sent my billet 9.5" converter back to Edge for a re-tweek.  Going for closer to 3600-3800 now. Supposed to have everything back by Friday....fingers crossed!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Been gone a while I guess. We fabricated our mount for the 4L80E and had to make room for the trans control plug on the drivers side. Other than that it was pretty straight forward. I am now going twin turbo with my 436 LSX and converting over to E85, it never ends...lol

Mike

My LS3 circuit 280ZX has a 4L85E manually shifted behind it, while it's OK the shifts take a while to get the heavy internals moving, it's overall a heavy transmission and engine braking is poor. Compared with what's available in modern performance cars it's an old tech lump. As soon as I can come up with a practical alternative, possibly a Ford/ZF 6R80, the 85 will be put in a museum. It's a pity that you people are not demanding more from your aftermarket transmissions because it sure as hell suits GM for you to be happy with the old inefficient stuff. Plus it makes it hard for those of us who want something better.