HybridZ

Extracting seized bleeders

I got a set of rear calipers from an '86 Maxima (scrapyard) to rebuild for my rear disc conversion. I've got them cleaned and disasembled, with all the rebuild parts now ordered and in route, but I can't get the old bleeder nipples out of the calipers.

I've been at it for 3 days now. I soaked them in biodiesel, and PB Blaster, alternating with heat from a propane torch. I haven't actually broken them off yet, but they seem like part of the caliper. What's next?

Patience, more PB and heat?

Drill them out, hopefully the seats are ok, and rethread?

Toss the damn things and start over?

I have some mapp gas around here somewhere. Let me know if you want to use some. I will have to find it.

But then if they are that seized up you'll have to wonder what kind of shape the rest is.

Everything else is in good shape. I have these babies stripped down. I doubt an EZ out would extract this if vise grips on the old body will not. I've had plenty of EZ outs break off though. Has anyone drilled out bleeders before, without destroying the seat?

I finally got these broken loose. More heat directly on the bleeder, found a deep well 10mm socket in my tool box, pounded it on the deformed hex and used the 18" breaker. I was expecting to twist them off, but they both threaded out. On to rebuilding.

I know you have russel speed bleeders on your current brakes.

Try the Earls solo bleeders. I think a better bleeder.

Got the new Earls bleeders.  You are correct, my Russels leak air when loosened.  Going slow with the rest of the rebuild as it's getting colder and putting the springs back in the cylinders is tricky; I had to modify a set of needle nose pliers to grip the spring clips.  I am using a C clamp to compress it place, and there is not much wiggle room to install the clip.