HybridZ

what to do? re: window rubber on door chrome

So...I noticed today that Black Dragon doesn't sell this, nor can I find it on ebay.

Know what I'm talking about? The rubber that slides across the window when you roll it down. It's stapled to the chrome pieces at the top of each door. Where can I get these. Maybe I can salvage one with some baseball glove oil and the oven...but my other one is broken. What are you guys doing to replace these?

I thought I remember having difficulty finding these as well.

I could have swore I bought them through black dragon though.. I'll look at my records, and see what I turn up.

And I wouldn't risk trying to save them. I scratched the bajesus out of my drivers window rolling it up and down a couple times on a hardened gasket, while I attempted to do a similar "recondition"

EDIT: Found it.

Page 17 of Black Dragon's Online Catalog

Item(s) (8)

Molding-LH with seal

Molding-RH with seal

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Check out www.zcarsource.com their website has just the rubber listed for a fraction of the price of buying the whole molding piece. I haven't purchased this yet so I can't comment on quality but I plan too.

I don't see them at this site. Are you looking at the inner door glass fuzzy seals?

I bought one of these from Long Motor company a while back. The rubber was attached to the stainless piece. Only problem was that the stainless piece lacked the curve of the top of the doorskin and wouldn't install (the piece they sold was straight). If you buy just the rubber, how do you attach it to the metal piece? HaaJeHaa, did you get the assembly or just the rubber and attach it to your existing piece of stainless? My doors rattle like crazy, I need to do this this winter, please advise.

I thought I remember having difficulty finding these as well.

I could have swore I bought them through black dragon though.. I'll look at my records, and see what I turn up.

And I wouldn't risk trying to save them. I scratched the bajesus out of my drivers window rolling it up and down a couple times on a hardened gasket, while I attempted to do a similar "recondition"

EDIT: Found it.

Page 17 of Black Dragon's Online Catalog

Item(s) (8)

Molding-LH with seal

Molding-RH with seal

Yea, both of my windows are scratched. That's how I found out what these and what they (used to) do. I'm hoping I can polish it out. Anybody ever do that with glass before? How'd that...work...out?

I thought about getting the chrome piece as well, but since I'm painting them black it would be a waste of money to buy a brand new piece and paint over it, when I can just paint over my crappy one and (hopefully) attach new rubber. I have a feeling this is easier said than done.

• 3 years later...

Ya, but you're not going to like it... 

The original staples are pretty tough - stainless or hardened steel.  They had to be to punch through the stainless molding and metal backing plate.  I tried to unbend them with the thought of maybe re-using the original staples.  wrong...  They are extremely difficult to straighten and many just break while you're struggling to do so. 

I ended up cutting off the curled end of the staples with my dremel cutting wheel so I could remove them.  At this point you really need a pneumatic stapler to reassemble.  I don't - so I used the existing holes and fashioned my own "staples" to put the new rubber strips on the metal framework.  Definitely not as awesome as the original fasteners, but I can always re-do them at any point should they not hold.

• Like 1