HybridZ

L28 from a Nissan Patrol

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

Well my uncle is getting rid of his Nissan Patrol and it has a L28 in it, i not sure of all the specs of these patrols, but he said its basically the same stuff as my L26 i got in there right now, so i would think that i could just get it out of his car and work on that L28, is it the same as a L28 out of a 280z 280zx, I'm getting the engine for free so i might as well asked

i not sure if it is called a patrol in the us but it is the 4x4 from around early 1980's...

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: Zpeed ]

They never sold those in the states, although the diesel Patrol engine was used in International Harvester Scouts.

Although I don't know anything about these Patrol engines, I would suspect that it would not be the same L28 found in the ZCar. I would presume that it would have lower compression and perhaps even smaller valves and ports. That's somewhat typical of a car engine in a truck.

If you could post the block and head stampings, that would go a long way toward figuring out what kind of L28 it is.

As for the patrol the ones sold here in the late 60's early 70's I thought they had a copy of the chevy 235 inline 6 Go take a look you may be supprized... BTW what year is it and how big is it... the ones sold here were the same size as a Toyota FJ40

Guest Zpeed

hey again, yer i belive they might call them the maverick in the u.s i'm not completely sure, i can't get any numbers from the car becuase i don't see my uncle often and i can't get to his house and look at the car, but last time he looked at my car, he said my L26 looked exactly like his L28, i'll try to get in contact with him tonite and i'll post some nubmers maybe, i'll see

I drove a Nissan Patrol when I lived in Lake Tahoe. They are pushrod 6 cylinders and appreaed to based on the Chevy 235 6 as Ray said above (they use the same oil filter).

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: johnc ]

Guest lambsr

If it's original, the L28 in the Patrol will be identical to that used in Oz spec 280ZX. Should have N42 head and block, rear sump bowl location. Only possible diff will be camshaft. Will bolt straight into 240/260Z and 280ZX.

Not widely known, but late 90's (MQ??) Patrols in Oz used a carburetted version of the RB30 and because this also has sump at rear (unlike R31 Skyline and VL Commode) will also bolt into a Z with some mount 'massaging'.

• 5 years later...

this is really old, but I have a question. What transmission/transfercase bolts up to a l28 to be able to have 4wd like the MQ patrols/Datsun nissan Safari's had? Has anyone seen one for sale in the states? It would be a cheap swap into a toyota 4x4 i'm working on with more power than the 100hp the 22re pushes...lol..just wondering if anyone knows

this is really old, but I have a question. What transmission/transfercase bolts up to a l28 to be able to have 4wd like the MQ patrols/Datsun nissan Safari's had? Has anyone seen one for sale in the states? It would be a cheap swap into a toyota 4x4 i'm working on with more power than the 100hp the 22re pushes...lol..just wondering if anyone knows

im wondering that too, because i'll be getting one of those trucks soon as well.

for metal removal, but fun nonetheless =)

I dont know about L series specific 4wd transmissions, but I would assume that you could MODIFY one out of a Z engine series (8 spark plugs) powered early to late 80s 4wd trucks. I would think it would be as easy as putting on an L-series transmissions, just like the 240SX trans swap is done.

L and Z series 4 cylinder motors are basically the same block, except that the Z seires isnt canted to the pasengers side of the car as much as the L.

• 3 months later...

why does the L motor have a canter to the left? I have fitted the L28 to a hardbody 4x4 box ,today,but to have my transfer box sitting right and the motor is way skew and vice a versa .Can i run the motor straight up with out problems or is it vitally important to be off to the left.?

Coincidentally I'm flogging a Patrol L28 engine at the moment on Ebay. Came out of a '87 model, has an N42 head (with FI cut outs!) and an F54 block. I never pulled the head so don't know if it's got flat or dished pistons, or if there's anything else different about this very late N42 head compared to thse used in Zeds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170106506575

Also of interest is that the angle on the bottom of the sump is more extreme than that on a Zed suggesting the engine is canted over even more than in Zeds.

Cheers,

Rob