HybridZ

L28 with a 4V

alsil

Guest Anonymous

My limited time with the SU's on the L6 was the same. When warm it was ok (mine were out of tune though, I know that), but cold was a PITA. Left hand on the wheel, right hand on the choke lever ready to throw it in neutral (it was an auto), really really cold blooded too at least mine was. Even after a 10 mile trip on the freeway and allowing it to warm before that, it'd die if I did'nt tap dance on the gas and futz with the choke lever.

All better now though, the Holley on the chevy motor, pump the gas twice, turn the key, electric choke works great, never stalls. (granted they are newer than the SU's icon_smile.gif )

Regards,

Lone

[ May 24, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

Al,

Personally I don't think the 4 barrel, manifold is worth it! I met this guy that lived me with a 240Z, and he had the set up I drove the car, and the one cool thing when the other 2 barrels opened up it felt like turbo kicking in or something, but I told him to try Su's out and he likes it a better then his 4 barrel set up. He bought it brand new from MSA I think for like 750 for everything? So if you want to buy it I can give you his e-mail cause I think he's itching to get rid of it lol. And your in the area icon_wink.gif I wouldn't recommend it but if you want the manifold I'm sure he'd be happy to sell it

zya

Yuichi

ZDriver.com

• 6 years later...

So anyone have any new ideas on this? I'm thinking of picking up that 240 in Santa Cruz, but I don't want to deal with the SU's very much.... I read a post the other day about a larger motor that had a single carb on it, any info on that?

I want something simple to maintain, gets decent gas mileage (daily driver), and is reliable. The only thing I know that is iffy on a Z is the SU's, they need calibration every 10-15k.

I saw a clifford intake on Ebay just the other day....that intake and a Holley 390 would run about $500 for the pair. Of course there's the throttle linkage to think of, fuel lines, etc....

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Arizona Z Car has one that I have seen installed on more than half a dozen cars (including my own) that they bolted the 4 barrel manifold on and drove it with absolutely NO adjustments to the carb, I think it was a Carter AFB, not sure of the model. I had one for years on my car and then my Dads car. It wasnt as good as the SU's in my opinion. But if you can tune a 4 barrel, you could probably make it work better than I did. Also the casting has been changed by AZC and I think Robello (sp) recently did a dyno back to back SU's vs AZC 4 Barrel and I recall Dave was very surprised.

Here it is http://www.arizonazcar.com/manifold.html

Guest whiteboyZ

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for anyone interested in buying a Z. I have a 1983 280ZX coupe. I am selling it for $3000 or best offer If any one is serious about this please message me. I will give you further details then...

Nathan

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for anyone interested in buying a Z. I have a 1983 280ZX coupe. I am selling it for $3000 or best offer If any one is serious about this please message me. I will give you further details then...

Nathan

This is what the classifieds section is for. You know, the one labeled BuySellTrade? For $3000 it better be in damned good shape.