HybridZ

RX2N Gauge Use...Heresy!!!

zohanisback

So I'm building up a custom fiberglass dash, which many of you already know, but I've figured out how I am going to do my personal instrument cluster.  I am going to install this little guy:

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/new/shop/motorcycle_gauges/rx-2n-speedometer-gp-style-0-10000-rpm-4/

It will sit in the center top part of teh gauge cluster, with two large ~90mm gauges sitting on either side and positioned down an inch or so.  The advantage to using this is:

1. It's pretty much the coolest thing ever with the startup sweep:
  2. It lets me combine multiple gauges together to save room in this tiny car (oil temp, water temp, and fuel level [will need sender modification]).
  3. It has a shift light with adjustable shift indicator and pre-shift indication
  4. Integrates blinkers, high-beam, neutral (that's gonna be fun to hookup on a T56), and engine warnings
  5. Looks amazing.

I will need to extend some of the wiring, but not by much in our little cars.  I even called their tech support and checked to make sure it would work with an 8 cylinder LS1 I am swapping in (which it does anywhere from 1-12 cylinders).  Excited about the prospect already.  Though the price tag is $$$$$....  :'(  They go on eBay in the box for about a $100 less.

If the quality if good, $300-400 is very cheap in my opinion. Add up what all those gauges.functions would cost from a decent gauge company and it will be a lot more money.  That is a pretty cool gauge for all kinds of different projects.  It would be awesome in something like a Locost or Aerial Atom copy or even a shifter cart.

That looks amazing! And this is coming from me, I'd prefer to keep my 260z mostly stock but the beauty and sheer functionality of that RX2N gauge has my inner geek going mad. xD Do keep us updated with how it goes!

:D  It is pretty cool, huh?  I wanna get a picture of the dash I've designed up, but the pencil marks are faint in the sketch when I scan it in. I will snap a photo of it after my finals this quarter so you guys can see it.  But I will definitely keep you guys updates.  I am so excited for the build and can't wait to get the mold done.  I have 3 weeks this break, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

Looks cool, but from what i'm seeing it's for motorcycles. Does this mean there are any complications with putting it on a car? (sorry i'm a bit clueless when it comes to gauge swaps).

You are correct.  The RX-2N is for motorcycles, but it uses a speedometer working off a sensor and magnet on the front wheel, so it can be adapted to a car's front wheel without a problem.  The main thing is building the sensor housing bullet proof on the calipers, and putting the magnets in a drilled out casing in the rims.  Like a bicycle speedometer, you then input the tire circumference, and it goes up to 2500mm. According to my measurements, it can accomodate 275/45r20 tires no problem (comes out to 2373mm), and you could probably squeeze 50s on there and still get an accurate reading.

I also called and confirmed that this coil sensor was designed to work with multiple engines, and that it can sense 1 RPM to 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 ingitions.  Then 2 RPM for 1, 3, 5, and 10 ignitions.  In other words, it can read RPMs on anything from rotary engines to V12s, etc.  The heat and oil temp are straightforward, and the blinkers and high-beam can be adapted, so the only thing that I have to do is get a 510 ohm or 100 ohm fuel sender.  In other words, it can fully and easily be adapted to a car with some basic fabrication.