HybridZ

Tube frame repair? Cage and front clip replacement

rayaapp2

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that the reason for building a tubular front clip (or complete chassis) is either support of really radical mods, or just as a hobby-exercise in personal development.  It's not the solution for collision repair.

Another "while I'm at it" consideration is whether to retain the stock suspension architecture or to undertake further mods such as unequal A-arm suspension.  After all, if the tubes increase rigidity and leave more space for suspension and engine, why saddle oneself with the disadvantages of the stock suspension?

In my case, the firewall was moved aft for better engine setback, the floor cut out and the front clip rewelded into the unibody using sheet metal patches, and then reinforced with diagonals from the dash bar to the front strut towers.  That was much simpler than doing a full tubular front end, because it was not necessary to make precision bends/cuts to get the tubes to line up properly with suspension hard points.  But as Johnc suggests, all of this was done on a frame jig, with the unibody welded to the jig.