HybridZ

t-56 mechanical reverse lock-out

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the long pause.Time of the year,I guess.Here is a picture of the actual piece I used for this build.My plan since I just received a lathe for christmas, is to manufacture this whole piece myself without a weld(easy on my tig skills).Should be about a month before I'm ready to start.Is anybody in these forums interested in something like this?I have plenty of interest on other froums but feel zcar people deserve the first shot.Should run about 140-150$ a piece.

post-24405-0-98368800-1356990613_thumb.jpg

post-24405-0-19721900-1356990630_thumb.jpg

Yes, the stock system does work.Many people though have found it a pain to hook up.This just eliminates the electronic hassle.In this setup I'm building this was the easiest choice.Not to mention this machined part eliminates the 1/2" to 3/4" dent you have to put in the(240z) tunnel.I would only recommend this to someone who is just on the verge of doing an ls swap with a t-56.I am also new to LS1/T56 swap and could not believe no one offered a mechanical lockout considering how easy it is to make.Can't wait to get this beast on the road.HAPPY NEW YEAR

OK-cool.  Honestly, I am at the mercy of my ECU programmer 'cause I don't have a clue of what goes on inside that "magic box."  I think you can only call your solution "simple" because you are a good fabricator - to a "parts swapper," like me, it looks pretty amazing.  I have a MGW after-market shifter and getting into reverse is definitely the hardest part of shifting this car - it is like the shifter's forward throw needs to be a little longer going into reverse.  Your part looks great and could probably have a great market for the folks going LS with a carburetor kit.  I wonder how much it would cost you to get some patent protection?

Edited by RebekahsZ

Looks great.  Unfortunately I would have to drop the tranny as mine is already installed.  And dropping the tranny, at least in my car, means pulling the engine and tranny.  I wish this was a year ago when I had it all out....

Ugh that sucks big time. once my car is up in the air, it only takes me about 30 minutes to drop the tranny, provided I have air tools. Then again, I've probably pulled 20 t56's.

• 8 months later...

I would definitely be interested in one of these. I am kind of green around the computer aspect of the lockout, Is it possible to just remove that function from the ecu programming all together and then just rely on the mechanical? 

I also plan to run the MGW short shifter, this shouldn't have any problems with that shifter set up should it?

I left my solenoid in and don't have any wires hooked up to it ( AM harness which didn't come with connector for it ) . My plan is to run new wires to the solenoid . Without this function , it's hard to shift into R . Highly rec that you keep this function .