HybridZ

Z32 TT fuel tank/pump for SR20DET swap

CasperIV

It's been a long time since I have posted here (been playing with some non-Z cars for a while). This project is just an S13 SR20DET swap into a 73 240Z I picked up. Currently all the underside of the car is being resprayed and the suspension/steering components are off to the powder coater and we have almost all the other parts (engine, trans, mounts, FMIC, radiator, piping, exhaust, etc). The car is going to be a weekend car/track day toy so I don't want to stick with the 240's fuel tank. The obvious solution is a fuel cell, but I dislike working fuel cells into street cars (live in Oregon and we can't pump our own gas), and I was thinking it would be interesting to do something different. This leads us to a Z32 TT tank/hardware swap.

Do you guys know of anyone doing anything like this? We were walking through it at the shop and looking at a Z32 tank compared to the 240Z while it was apart. It looks like we can make it match up with the fuel door by reversing it, changing the hard pipe a bit, and letting it bulge above the original floor of the hatch. This would allow us to use the TT's in tank pump and level sender. The fabricator I'm working with thinks he can actually make it work reasonably easy and be around the cost of buying a fuel cell, pump, lines, etc. What do you think?