HybridZ

HendoZ, 1uzfe/6mt 240z

HendoZ

Well here's the build thread on my little 240Z. 

a38b4d8b.jpg

Plans are a 1UZFE engine. 

7F89E7B2-5D4C-4168-B5A3-3D9CBB19ACFE-162

Everyone knows that this motor never came manual. Thats the biggest obsticle I'm facing right now. 

All kinds of kits are made to make this motor manual. I decided to be different.

42C9D9E9-ADBF-498E-A180-4D41D4CDF919-361

I decided on a Z33 6 speed. mainly because I got a hell of a deal on a 08 trans. Its the CD009 revision. The big bad trans thats supposed to hold 1000 horse.

1uzfetoz33.jpg

E4E0A205-7516-4251-BDB3-6C33B27C65D9-935

My next problem is mounts...

http://www.1uzfeswapkit.com/Steel-UHMW-Mount-for-the-1UZFE-MkIII-Supra-Engine-PAIR-0000-0007.htm

I came up with using mounts made to put a 1uzfe into a mk3 supra. You switch them around and it BOLTS UP to the 240z crossmember. I didnt plan to use these because they came with the motor i bought. but they will work. 

162645DF-2FC6-4AC8-BF27-00BC7CEB3FEE-935

I have big plans in store for this 240 and there is much much more to come.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested in some info about that trans/block adapter.

Cool project!

How is header clearance to the frame and to the steering shaft? How are you mounting the 6-speed?

Keep it up!

Info on the trans to block adaptor can be found through swap1uz.com i purchased the adapter from Brett. Really good guy to work with very prompt on response.

Header clearance is beautiful will be maintaining the stock exhaust manifolds. and ill be making a custom mount for the trans to rest on using the transmission's stock location.

Edited by HendoZ

Info on the trans to block adaptor can be found through swap1uz.com i purchased the adapter from Brett. Really good guy to work with very prompt on response.

Header clearance is beautiful will be maintaining the stock exhaust manifolds. and ill be making a custom mount for the trans to rest on using the transmission's stock location.

Very nice, I'm loving this project! I really like that the mounts and adapter can be sourced, makes things a little easier. Sounds like it fits better than a VH45, too. Also it's a plus that the Z33 6-speed fits in the tunnel without cutting/modifications. :2thumbs:

How's the shifter location looking?

well youll have to cut the 240z trans mounts out to make room but you shouldnt have to cut them very much. i completely took them out. for good measure.

Got it, I thought you meant you were keeping the stock mounts on the body.

B&M short shifter is in front bumper is being prepped and painted for a sating finish. Fender flares are on the way. Need to get my shifter support welded up. Also waiting on more parts from Swap1uz.com 

If anyone has any question. Feel free to ask. I'm sure ill run into more problems along the way but thats what projects like these are for.

How is the clearance between the engine and fire wall using those mounts? Is it pretty close?

Clearance is pretty good all around. I'd say close to 65% of the motor is behind the strut towers. and sits a good enough distance away from the firewall to be able to unbolt the trans from the top if I wanted.

Edited by HendoZ

• 2 weeks later...

A few guys on club lexus have been doing the six speed swap.  The biggest problem is shifter position (of course this isn't a big deal on our S30's really) and speed signal.  Apparently the signal from the Z33 comes from the ABS sensors rather than a sensor on the transmission. 

I wish I had a UZ in my Z now, but a manual supercharged SC400 is more than enough for me ;)

I'm using a W58 on my SC though.

Oh!  For the driveshaft people are using the yoke for a nissan titan.  If need be I can link you to the thread on Club Lexus.

I did the wiring on my MA70 when I did my 1UZ swap.  The wiring portion is a bit easy, doesn't take much to get her running.

A few guys on club lexus have been doing the six speed swap.  The biggest problem is shifter position (of course this isn't a big deal on our S30's really) and speed signal.  Apparently the signal from the Z33 comes from the ABS sensors rather than a sensor on the transmission. 

I wish I had a UZ in my Z now, but a manual supercharged SC400 is more than enough for me ;)

I'm using a W58 on my SC though.

Oh!  For the driveshaft people are using the yoke for a nissan titan.  If need be I can link you to the thread on Club Lexus.

I did the wiring on my MA70 when I did my 1UZ swap.  The wiring portion is a bit easy, doesn't take much to get her running.

I will en up needing help with wiring.

sure not a problem, what wiring do you have though?  Just the engine wiring?  If I remember correctly, you're going to need the plugs that go to the fuse box as well.  I used a SC400 harness and mated to my 7m harness.

Edited by ihiryu

Okay, I looked at a few things I have from when I did the swap.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/4695/199719871uzfesuprawirin.png

First save this image, you'll need the plugs EB1, EB2, and and IJ2.

To get the car to run:

You need switched power to EB2. This is a black and orange wire.
You need switched power to EB2. This is a black and red wire
You need switched power to IJ2. This is a black and orange wire.

You need constant power to EB1. This is a black and yellow wire

To start you need to supply "start" power to EB2(1) which is a black wire.

This information is both from SuperRunner (whom I got the flywheel for) and Chambers from supramania.  

This will get the car to run, you'll have to figure out the fuel pump wiring though.

On the SC400 it uses a fuel pump ecu to power the fuel pump.  So pretty much use the ECU output to a relay, and fuel pump power.  That should be to get the car up and running.

Edited by ihiryu

Not a problem, on my Z when I did my RB20 swap, I pulled switch power from the ignition switch.  However, since you are combining three of them you may want to run an external relay.  

I would run the relay out to engine bay, and tap a wire from the ignition switch to the relay.

So relay wiring would be:

85 -> ground

86 -> Ignition switch

87-> Battery

30-> Three wires from EB2 and IJ1

The start harness will be coming from the factory lower harness.  Keep in mind the factory lower harness has the oil pressure, starter signal and something else important in there (I think the water temp?).  So you'll swap over your oil pressure sensor to the UZ's location.  And the starter signal will go to Black wire on EB2.  This of course is from my 280Z, I don't know how it be different it will be on your chassis.

Also, on my car the fuel pump wiring was under the passenger seat.  You'll have to find the fuel pump wiring and wire up a relay there too.  If I remember correctly the ECU should output a GROUND signal.  So you're relay will be pinned out the same with the exception of 85 and 86.  85 will be switch 12v or constant 12v and 86 will be from the ECU, and 30 will go to fuel pump power.

That's how I would do anyway, in theory this should fire up.  However I have to put a disclaimer that you'll want to verify my work, and if your car or yourself has damages then it's all on you.

-Steve 

• 4 weeks later...