HybridZ

looking for l28et pods or ideas for gauges.

joelrs7

This weekend i'm doing a turbo swap into my1978 datsun 280z and I bought a AEM wide-band and boost gauge. The problems i'm having is knowing where or how to put them? I would like to have them mounted on the side by the window trim where most are. Does anybody have any ideas on how to make a custom pod or how to source one that will work? If not I want to put the wide-band where the clock is; however, I would not know where to put the boost gauge.I don't want to put it where the radio is because my friend has his located there and its not a very Continent place to look when your driving. THANKS:)

I was thinking that too, but I've seen them mounted on the side and it looks awfully cluttered mostly from the steep angle of the window and the depth of the dashboard. I was actually thinking about trying to mount them on top of the dash in a dual pad angled towards me. 

Edited by BluDestiny

This has always been a dilemma  S30 owners.  There are a few threads where people have custom made some really good looking gauge pods with 2 or three gauges but the ones I've seen were all in the S130 and they have a much thicker pillar area to work with.  The pillar is so thin its really hard to work with in the first place.  Some mount them where the original clock is.  I'm not running a boost gauge, just a wide-band.  I got a cheap universal gauge pod and cut it down to match the contour of the windshield seal and side pillar.  It kind of slides down in between the dash and pillar at the bottom of it.  Its not perfect but it is functional. I'm only running one gauge. I will probably remove it once my car is tuned right. We shall see. You could probably do the same with a universal dual gauge pod but it may look cluttered like previously mentioned. Let us see what you come up with. This pick is where I was mocking it up.  The hole I have cut is for the LED of the wideband.  I've since tucked it inside because its annoying to look at during night driving.  I've got my calibration button for the wideband under the dash. Not show quality but since its screwed in tight, it sits pretty flush and no one has really payed enough attention to notice it much. Not show quality but as I said functional.

post-8916-0-99951800-1355492033_thumb.jpg

Edited by motomanmike

• 2 weeks later...

^ Thats not too bad Mike... I once used a steering column setup that put the boost gauge right in the center between the speedo and tach, then put the wideband in the clock. It's really a matter of preference but I couldnt find a setup of a pod for the a-pillar on an s30 that didnt look like a complete abortion so I made that choice.