HybridZ

Black Dragon Automotive headlight question

Boog

So I am looking for some new headlights, and I wanted to go brighter than halogens or other sealed beam lights. Black dragon automotive has something called their "Custom Headlight" which is just a reflector housing with replaceable bulbs. My question is does anyone know what size bulb it is? Common sense makes me want to think it is a H4 bulb. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with a representative trying to figure it out, but she just kept saying "ohhhhhhhh, ok. let see here" and then proceeded to read the catalog to me. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Here is the link to the page in the catalog:  http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=65

And if you turn to the page before it (64), you can see the available bulbs. 

Thanks in advance :/

Always include make and model of the car you are  working on.

Before you install higher wattage headlights you need to  be aware that the headlight circuit in the 240Z  is weak. The weakness is mainly in the headlight switch that has to handle the headlight amperage load. Weak headlights and switch meltdowns are common complaints.

The fix is to run  the headlights though  a dedicated set of relays. Your headlights will be brighter and it will take the load off of the headlight switch.

The harness is available from Motor Sports Auto (MSA) or through a HybridZ member (Dave) who designed the harness.

You can buy the harness here: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4651

You can get the harness and the H4 lights from MSA.

Don't install higher amp lights without the relay  harness. It is plug and play - no cutting of wires etc. Installs in about 30 minutes or less.

Don't buy the relay harness that Black Dragon sells. 

Search HybridZ for the headlight relay harness. Look in the vendor section also as I recall that Dave posted his Z car electrical upgrades there.

Edited by Miles

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I have decided to go with zstore basic h4 lights, and I will upgrade to some good projectors when I get the funds. Thanks for the info on the black dragon harness though, I will order a zstore one for sure.

Get a set of Hella E code housings from the link below.  Work perfectly in my 240 and they give you your choice of bulbs.  These aren't higher wattage than the stock sealed beams, I just used the stock wiring.  I did do some voltage checks to make sure there were no issues.  I could probably uses some relays to bypass the headlight ground through the combo switch, I am dropping 3 volts through that on high beams.  But even just bolting these guys in got amazingly better visibility

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

^All my connectors are a tinged brown, I really did not want to think of trying to run more voltage through them. I did the relays myself. If you have done fog lights or accessories it is the same principle (not bad to learn, my fans, fuel pump, headlights, are all relayed, if you are lazy you can even find labeled relay kit with connectors), the guy who makes the relays for MSA is local (washington state), so you could probably buy them direct from him if you wanted the awesomeness of plug and play/and wanted to keep the possibility of going back to stock.

My ratings:

Stock not great

Stock with new sealed beams better

H4

Stock with new sealed beams and relays, pretty darn decent

H4 relays better

H4 HID's great light output, pretty terrible cutoff (a lot of the light bounces around in the bucket)

Are they worth buying or if you had to do it again would you go HID tecreatta?

I'd buy a set for my next Z. I was looking at them and Projectors but decided i didn't want to be like the guys in pickups that blind me every night while I'm driving. The prospect of getting revenge was tempting though. I've had them for two years and they are much brighter then the factory sealed beams that were still in my car. I drive an s130 by the way and didn't upgrade the harness.

I'd buy a set for my next Z. I was looking at them and Projectors but decided i didn't want to be like the guys in pickups that blind me every night while I'm driving. The prospect of getting revenge was tempting though. I've had them for two years and they are much brighter then the factory sealed beams that were still in my car. I drive an s130 by the way and didn't upgrade the harness.

Projectors won't blind anyone. A lot of the guys on the road are putting HIDs into halogen housings which cause an awful amount of glare.

• 1 month later...

Don't mean to hijack the thread at all, but since were on the topic of headlights, where does everyone get headlight replacement buckets?  Not the sugar scoop bucket but the actual headlight bucket and inner bowl? 

Junkyards have been my normal haunts for small knick knacks such as that.

Projectors won't blind anyone. A lot of the guys on the road are putting HIDs into halogen housings which cause an awful amount of glare.

No, projectors are very good at blinding me. My friend's e46 has projectors that cause a decent amount of suffering. My eyes have been worked on quite a bit as well causing a general hypersensitivity to light. I kept others with similar eye conditions in mind when I made my headlight choice.