HybridZ

RB-26DETT

stony

Hey guys i live in japan and i am currently building a 260 z. I saw a couple of threads asking about the rb-26dett conversion. They do it all the time here in japan and im getting it done to my LHD US spec Z. im not using the stock turbos im going with a 62-1. For anyone who has seen the rb-26dett in action it is an amazing engine and although intial investment in the engine and installation is high you can get an easy 500 reliable HP on the stock bottom end without having a loud rumbling high HP v-8. (not saying that its bad ;>)

later

stony

[This message has been edited by stony (edited October 23, 2000).]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh don't I wish!!!! I've heard stories (and they might be just that) about 1100hp out of the stock bottom end of this engine. Scary. I can't believe they have decided to go with a V8 in the next skyline. frown.gif

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

I believe it was a british magazine that I read that in, autoworld maybe? Can't recall for sure. I really hope nissan sticks with the I6 in a few of thier cars!

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

It is a turbo so its gonna have some lag but with teh exhaust housing compressor housing combo itll wide up pretty good. I plan on running through a dyno in a month or 2 after its done and ill post teh numbers.

1100 HP with stock bottom end ..... i dont think so!!!!! they are only good to around 600 and thats pushing it. I dont know where you heard teh skyline were going with V-8 but it is not true. the japanese only do teh v-8 in there big boat cruser cars not performance anyways later guys

stony

Oh man - a guy in Japan! Someone, get that man a CAMERA!!!

Seriously, take some pics and we'll find a place to post them :-) I LOVE the Skyline! If I could get one here, 4WD turbo, just like they have them in Japan I'd buy one price be damned. That's one super nice car!

As for the 1000HP - I've seen SEVERAL articles on Skylines in that power range. Pick up an issue of Turbo or two and you'll see them once in awhile. Sport and Compact Car has had them as well. One opf them even toured the States doing drag exhibitions! The bottom end was by no means stock - lot's of work and I think the block may have been sourced from a different motor. 600HP appears to be pretty straightforward though. Imagine that with 4wd - wow!

Would love to hear what's going on over there with Zs, styling trends, etc. etc.. If someone makes it over there I'd love to hear about what's in their wrecking yards and on the streets. I just spent a week on SoCal and was actually disappointed in what I saw of the car scene there. I'll post more on that trip later though...

Socal. Jim, I know what you mean. I was in Ventura/PT. Mugu, etc area a year or so and I was impressed by the fact that original 50s and 60s cars with original paint were still on the road, but really depressed by all the riceboys. 1 inch of ground clearance and the same or less of bump travel. Scary I tell ya.

i have lots of pics. give me a place to send them ill send pics of all kinds of skylines and rhd Z and the way the japanese like to set them up heres a URL of a guy on the mainland. i think this is where all japanese would like to have there z eventually. http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/1147/FairladyZ/main.html the big trend here in japan is the rb25 and rb26 conversion.

later

stony

Pete,

they guy is japanese and not sure if he has a translator on his computer. i emailed him also as i have not seen alot of stuff on his car before. If you can get someone that read japanese i think alot of how he did stuff is on his page.

OWEN,

The RB swap into the old z 's and skylines is the biggest trend right now. The shop im going thru to do the swap says the sterring wont be a problem as long as i use a turbo maniifold that puts the turbo on top instead of the bottom. the stock turbos will fit fine.

later

clint

Stony, I saw that a while back as Someone posted teh URL on the IZCC list. I tried emailing the guy from the address on the website, but no answer.

Anybody know any details on how things were done on that car?

I know I'm no expert on parts available for the Z but I see some stuff on that car that I just never have seen or heard of before.

Consider:

02142s.jpg

(The larger version of this pic is at:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/1147/FairladyZ/02142.jpg )

I've never seen anybody do an offset strut spacer before. I can see getting the camber increase this way, but I'd think it would steer very strange, as the distance from the spindle to the ball jint is increased, and the scrub radius is WAY big compared to stock.

What really intrigues me is:

02148s.jpg

(The larger version is at:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity/1147/FairladyZ/02148.jpg )

That's a pretty cool setup. I've never seen this kind of strut camber adjustment setup before. Anybody seen this or know where to get it, or details about it?

A incredibly nicely done car. The owner must be proud!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Stony,

You lucky dog you, make sure you make a really detailed write up on all this!!

Are you gonna have any problems with the

steering rack, brake booster, etc?

My friend at Nissan says the LHD cars have

all that stuff which interferes with the

turbos, thats why it's taking a long time

for them to import the Skyline.

Keep us updated.

randy 77zt:

If youre in Osaka, try to go to Yumenoshima,

you can get there from the ATC I think. They

have a lot of drag events there, check the car mags for schedules. And take pictures!

Lates,

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Stony (pics in post): the only way to do it is to know the URL of the pic on the web some place, so you'd have to put them up on one of the free picture sites if you don't have web space with your ISP, etc. If you have web space, and pics, but don't want to put a page up, you can upload the pics and reference them in your post anyway. Just know the full URL of where you put them and include the URL between the strings {url} and {/url} in your post, but use square brackets [] instead of the curly ones {} I showed above.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys teh rb-26 is in teh car now should be up and running in teh next couple of weeks...few quick specs...engine management is sds, 720cc injectors, tranny r-33 gts-t 5 spd, trust 2 core intercooler.

plan on making a web sight if i ever get time

l8rz

[This message has been edited by stony (edited March 05, 2001).]